DVD vs SACD in Multi-Channel

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by felix_li, Jan 29, 2005.

1. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

Not sure if here's the right place to ask but hope someone would give me some clues...

For some concert recordings, they're available in the market in both DVD & SACD versions having multi-channel (5.1). From my understanding (probably might wrong), the DVD DTS is in 24/96 coding whilest the SACD is using DSD, which both are "more or less" the same audio quality and are much better compare to CD. The DVD version, however is always cheaper than the SACD version even though it also comes with the video content.

What're the reaons behind this? What's the point of having the SACD version? Or am I missing something???

Any comment is welcomed!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    DVD in DTS will not be of the same quality as SACD. DTS is fairly heavily compressed and as a result will be lower in quality. If however you mean DVD-A, then yes, it could be in lossless MLP 24/96, or higher. The difference then comes down to a difference in format and what player will play what. DVD-A discs may also have DTS and/or DD tracks, but the quality of the DTS/DD tracks will be nowhere near the same as the MLP encoded DVD-A track.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In my (limited) experience of DVD-A & SACD I wouldn't say one format is inherently better than the other. The quality of mastering on each individual disc has a bigger impact than what format is used.

Some discs DVD-A sound better , some SACD. (In both formats some discs just sound gimmicky & worse than original CDs)

Just my opinion of course

EDIT
    I tend to listen to the high res stereo mixes as opposed to the 5.1 mixes :D

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I agree with vonhosen, the issue is made worse in that the mastering process for both SACD and DVD-A requires different sampling rates (if Gramaphone magazine is correct) so something remastered from DVD-A to SACD will always sound worse than the same recording on DVD-A - kinda like converting a MP3 to WMA.

5. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody for information!!!

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could be generally true if the original master is in PCM. If the original master is in analogue (transferred directly to DSD) or an original DSD recording, then the SACD should be at least equal, if not slightly better.