1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd vs hd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PaulBudrow, Mar 31, 2005.

1. PaulBudrow

PaulBudrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just hooked up my new prog scan dvd player to my philips plasma. Is DVD image quality slightly less sharp then HD picture? The DVD picture is fabulous but just not as sharp as my HD channels.

I saw an dvd that converted HD signal. Would that result in a clearer picture?

Thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    HD is a higher definition than DVD and therefore will give better picture - you can get DVD players that will upscale to HD definition but this of cause is not going to be as good as a source that is HD in its native format (you can also buy external scalers).

Until the HD/blu-ray DVD players become available the picture is unlikely to be as good as a high bitrate broadcast HD programme

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The softness is caused by the scaling being done by the plasma, which will always happen unless you have a display of the same resolution as the video you're playing.

As Astaroth says, you can get DVD players that do the scaling instead of the display however softening will still occur, you can't eliminate it only minimise it.