DVD+VR -VR confusion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wurky, Sep 6, 2007.

1. wurky

wurky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a DVD Player but I'm slightly confused by the different VR formats. If I understand correctly, DVD+RW discs can be formatted as DVD+VR, then if I record three 30 min programs and delete the middle one, although I can record over the middle one, if the new program is longer than 30 minutes the first part of the third recording would be overwritten rather than jumping to the free space at the end of the disc?

But if I use a DVD-RW disc, it can be formatted as DVD-VR, which allows recordings to be made using any available free space on the disc? (whether that free space is in one chunk or not).

One of the main features I want is to not have to worry about where the free space is physically on the disc, but I definitely want a DVD rather than hard drive recorder. The recorder I'm looking at is the Philips DVDR3480. I'm unsure whether -RW discs will be formatted in video mode or -VR mode and despite reading through the entire manual on the Philips website haven't been able to work it out!

many thanks!
    Wurky

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Hi Wurky. Welcome to the forum.

At the head of your post you refer to a DVD Player.. but obviously you mean a DVD recorder.

I cannot be all that helpful to you regarding your particular query, but there are a few other things I think you should consider, albeit it may be that you have good reason for choosing the routes you are considering.

Firstly, RAM disks would do all the you require, and do so more reliably, and they would also offer other facilities such as chase playback. However that would involve choosing a different make to the the type you are considering.
    Their ability to handle free space issues is second to none. In that respect they behave just like hard drives.

Secondly, I generally recommend against using RW disks simply because experience on this forum shows them to be the most problematic types of disk. Also they are not designed for long term storage - although I realise that is not what you are looking for necessarily.

Thirdly, you say you definitely want a DVD recorder and not a HDD recorder but you do not seem to considering the much more flexible ideal which is a DVD recorder that includes a hard drive... for which I do make a very strong recommendation.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,312
    Seconded. Having a Hard Drive at your disposal will meet all your "needs" plus give you many many more hours of space for timeshifting than you'll ever get on one DVD, plus you can then select, edit and copy off, onto DVD, anything you want to keep.