1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD video DAC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by leeb, Apr 23, 2003.

1. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Been looking at the specs of many new dvd players/recorders and they all list their video DAC figures. I've seen 10 bit, 12 bit, 27Mhz, 54Mhz and 108Mhz. What exactly should I be looking for here. Does one figure guarantee a better picture over another or is it more complex than that?

Thanks.

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    mine is 54 mhz but the new ones are 108 mhz they say the new ones have better picture. One thing I know more impressive specs more money!! less in your pocket

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    definition is far greater the higher the figure. If you have a big screen 36" or higher then you will notice more of a difference.

I have the Sony 905 , I forget it's frequency, but it certainly looks better on a 36" over previous lesser models.

Changing models within the same frequency, just didn't do much.

I'm sue there are other factors that play a role in the whole scheme of things, but having this figure higher is just one step ahead of the rest.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    There also seems to be a correlation with 54mhz and progressive scan - those with 27mhz don't have ity, and those that do, have the capability unless the component output is replaced with scart (which seems to be the case with some Panasonic models).

Not sure how accurate this is though.

The Pioneer 747 has 108mhz so it's no surprise that it has such a great picture.

I've also found that 54mhz in the Toshiba 520 gives a great pic too, and seems to implement it better than the Philips 963 which didn't seem anywhere near as good when I had one.

Some even say they have 4 x 54hz 10bit DACs which must help in the signal processing I supose.

Gary.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Video quality is MORE down to engineering that spec manship here, a higher freq DAC / higher bit rate DAC does not necessarily make a better performance though it is need for PS. Anyone fancy putting my lowly 10 bit / 27 Mhz DVD player against a 14 bit / 104MHz spec machine? Mines the Tag DVD32R by the way......;)