1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Video Calibration?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Paden, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a Sony 725 & want to use a DVD based test disc (Avia / Video Essentials) to calibrate the picture on my new plasma :D
    However I've got a bit of a chicken & egg problem in that the Sony player doesn't seem to output raw video but gives the user various video modes: Cinema, Dynamic & Standard (& one other I think which all alter the picture parameters output from the DVD player.
    Even on Standard with all parameters at default the picture isn't neutral as the contrast is too high (judging by the THX Optimode contrast test pattern).
    So is there anyway I can ensure that the DVD player is outputting a good picture prior to calibration of my panel :confused:

Cheers, Paul

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    if it doesn't have the options to adjust picture, brightness, colour etc then leave it on standard and adjust your display from there. the contrast (video level output) of my Sony dvd player was too high, I could adjust it, but with cheaper/older sony's they don't have specific adjustments. If your not happy with the contrast (you can't see details in the upper whites) no matter how you set your display then you'll be needing a new dvd player... or you could see if there is a video level adjustment pot inside the player.

3. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :smashin: cybersoga
    I can adjust the parameters on my player ie reduce contrast but my problem is that if the contrast requires adjusting on the Standard setting then it is likely that the others do too but I can't calibrate my player on an uncalibrated monitor :confused:
    I need to calibrate my monitor to calibrate my DVD
    I need to calibrate my DVD to calibrate my monitor
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :rotfl:

Cheers, Paul

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just calibrate your screen and adjust your dvd player settings if you need to, so the end result is a dvd picture you are happy with - what's the problem?

5. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If I calibrate the screen to the DVD player, then other inputs ie. Sky, X-Box which have no facility to adjust video output will be incorrect.

Cheers, Paul

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hmmm...seems strange. What make is your plasma? Are you sure you can't adjust each input independently?

Steve

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The output levels from your other devices (sky etc) won't be the same as the DVD player so you won't be able to calibrate your screen once for all devices, that is why most screens have seperate settings per input/screen mode.

8. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's a Panasonic panel which I'm feeding component video from my A/V amp so I'm only using one input.
    I guess I'll end up setting the panel up by eye for Sky & then tweak the DVD players on board settings to match as best I can.
    Unfortunately I don't think my eye will give as good results as a calibration disc would.

Cheers, Paul