DVD/ VCR recording capabilities

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete M, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Pete M

Pete M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read with interest many of the threads in this forum, but I am a little confused over recording methods.

Using a VCR I can record BBC2 while I am watching Channel 4 or I can watch 5 and record ITV 1 in every case using Freeview.

From what I understand(and my knowledge is limited) when one is using a DVD recorder whether to disc or HD it is only possible to record the programme you are watching. What is the point of that? To me owning a DVD recorder is less of a benefit that using the old VCR.

I am sure I will receive many reply - I just hope I will understand them

Ciao

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    A DVD recorder is no different from a VCR in this regard.

Most DVD recorders today have an analogue tuner (like a VCR), though at least one model with a digital (Freeview) tuner built in (and more to come). Assuming an analogue tuner... your DVD recorder can record from analogue channel 5 while you watch something else on your Freeview. Of course, if you only have one Freeview source, you can't watch one Freeview channel while recording another!

Mark

3. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are suggesting you are recording off Freeview whilst watching a different Freeview channel you are not. Your VCR is recording BBC2 analogue whilst your are watching your other channel on either analogue or freeview.

As has been stated a DVD Recorder is no different in this regard, you can record 1 analogue channel whilst watching a freeview channel or vice-versa.

I have a Pioneer 220s (dvdrecorder - no HD) and would never go back to a VCR. No more rewinding/fforwarding to try and find what the wife recorded somewhere on a video tape.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Count how many TUNERS you have for your chosen platform.

A recording (of one channel) uses one tuner. Watching (one channel) uses one tuner. If the two channels are different, it uses TWO tuners. You can use one tuner for both only if it's the same channel.

Doesn't matter which platform - the rule applies. Watch one Freeview (digital), record another = 2 freeview digital tuners. Watch one $ky, record another = 2 $ky tuners. And so on. Watch one Freeview (digital) and record one analog = 1 Freeview + 1 Analog tuner.