dvd/vcr combo.compact size or not???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by owen021173, Apr 26, 2007.

1. owen021173

owen021173

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    hi,
    probably not the most exciting post of the day but i am after a dvd/vcr combo for the kids room. cheap and cheerful nothing special but having looked around on the net most seem to be around 430mm wide and my opening in the cabinet is only 410mm v,tight fit.

so,are the any smaller than the norm combos out there,dont want to get seperates as with only 2 scarts on the tv i have .1. sky box./2.playstation 2 ./3.dvd player and 4. vcr(hence combo)

your help would be grateful...:lease:

2. owen021173

owen021173

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    :hiya:

c'mon guys someone must know on here????

anyone in the retail trade????

3. owen021173

owen021173

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    is this post in the wrong place or something?????

4. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The problem is that the width of a DVD/VCR combi is pretty much determined by the side-by-side arrangement of the video cassette flap and DVD flap/tray, so there's not much margin for shaving the width. It's purely by luck that they fit the standard full-size component width in the first place. Probably some width could be shaved off, but with minimal investment in VCR players these days, and the use of established transports, the width is effectively fixed. Probably only a few manufacturers make such combi chassis for the various brands (I've seen the Samsung chassis used by quite a few brands,) who add their own styling and determine their own feature set, so there's even less chance of variation in width. A unit with the transports stacked, or with a DVD slot-loader, or a side-loading video cassette transport could reduce width, but it's too late in the lifetime of VHS for anything like that. It's also hard work trying to find out what the dimensions of available combis are.