Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD/VCR Combis

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by handyandy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody recommend a good quality easy to use dvd/vcr combo? I haven’t got any experience of them myself and a quick look on the internet at a couple of reviews of the latest for Sony (D930) and Panasonic (NVVP31) seem unfavourable. I was also looking at the Philips DVP620 but can’t find any info on this.

I have been roped into buying it for a relative and the most important factors are picture performance (seems to be what is letting them down, especially vcr), ease of use and reliability. A mass of connectivity is not important.

If anybody can recommend a good unit I would be very grateful.

2. Slapnut

Slapnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same predicament over Christmas and spent a lot of time researching all the available models. I found that the features I wanted from the VCR (i.e. VideoPlus, NICAM, PDC) was not always available with the features I wanted from a DVD Player (DivX, Multiregion, Progressive Scan).

In the end I opted for the Toshiba SD34VB from RGBDirect.co.uk for £130 which has the award winning SD340 DivX DVD player coupled with a fantastic feature-filled VCR. Its now retailing for £145 but some popular companies are still selling this model for £270+ (see Digital Direct as an example)

If the features mentioned above arent important to your buying decision- look out for cheaper models available through Richer Sounds and Argos. Otherwise definitely plump for the Toshiba.

3. handyandy

handyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slapnut, Thanks for your help. I hadn't seen the Toshiba before - it is a smart looking bit of kit!

4. samlees2002

samlees2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am looking for a dvd / tv combi for under £200.00, but need to know if possible do they all record? And which ones have fast text? Which one would you reccommend for a good price?
    Many thanks

5. Slapnut

Slapnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly is! Would look great in any lounge. Ive had the system since December and it works fantastically well! Its played every DivX/Multiregion DVD ive thrown at it and the picture looks fantastic through just the RGB Scart (havent tried it with the component output yet- looking forward to seeing that!) The VCR does its job really well too.

I had another family member see the unit- he was so impressed he bought one himself!

6. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got the handset hack to make this multi-region? Sadly, mine isn't multi-region out of the box.