1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-V and DAC connection

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by CodeThief, Aug 1, 2002.

1. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just read the sticky at the top and it sounds like a good idea as I have an old Sony CDP-M26 that is in dire need of being replaced. So looking into DACs and using my DVD as a transport. How the hell do you connect this to the DAC but still use it for av??? would you have to swap the optical cable between boxes all the time or is there a pass through on the DAC or something??

Dave

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  3. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

Thanks for the replies, do you happen to know if the DAC20 has optical outputs / passthroughs as I couldn't determine this from these threads or the tag site.

Dave

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Codethief, the DAC 20 has a RCA coaxial feed loop, TAG discourage using the Optical Toslink conenction as it does not utilise all the functions in the DACs design due to bandwidth limitations FWIW.

If your going to an AV amp I would reccoemend suing the optical for that from the DVD-V player, then Coaxial from DVD-V to the DAC, then use standard ICs from DAC to Amps CD line inputs (thereby keeping all music processing from the DAC 20 rather than the AV Amps onboard DACs) this will result in better music performance, did you read the stuff about changing the output setting on your DVD player from Bitstream (AV mode) to PCM (Music mode) a stereo DAC needs a PCM signal fro the best musical results.

I dont own an AV amp so cant comment on the quality issue of Optical V Coaxial when watching movies, but in Hifi terms coaxial is regarded as King.

HTHs

5. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Excellent,

Thanks for the response :) I was only asking about optical as my current DVD player only has optical out (old Panasonice DVD-A160). I'll prolly change DVD soon as well so just curious in the meantime.

Thanks again :)

Dave