DVD Upscalers Reviews/Models

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cjb110, Mar 26, 2006.

1. cjb110

cjb110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Considering upgrading to a HD tv soon, and a mate has pointed out that an upscaling dvd player would make the most of my 500odd dvd's.

He mentioned the Samsung HD950 (because it has SACD & DVDA like my current Pioneer 656) Is that one of the better ones?

Are there quite a few models? or is there a couple and lots of rebranding?

I do like the look of the Samsung, and would probly be getting the LE40M51/61 tv...which from what i've read with odd hdmi compatabilites going on, sounds like a good match???

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the majority of the lower- end scaling players use a very limited number of chipsets, mostly from Sigma it seems, so quality is often comparable.

Personally I used a Momitsu V880 to good effect, I now have a SnaZio 1350 which is also working well, both used Sigma chips (different versions).

3. ninja168

ninja168
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does the Snazio 1350 only have a DVI output and no HDMI? If so, does it include a DVI - HDMI cable with the player? Thanks.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Hello all

ninja168 - the SnaZio SZ1350 has a non HDCP DVI-I Output.

For connectivity with an HDMI equipped Display you need to supply your own DVI>HDMI cable - sub £20.00 will get you a 2m Molex cable.

Not having HDMI is a big bonus for many as the SnaZio is then compatible with HDCP and non HDCP enabled Displays.

cjb110 - as KraGorn says you have to be clear that having an up-converter in the Source is not a guarantee of visual nirvana and keep in mind too 'scaling' is only one element of the video signal; the majority of visual defects are about deinterlacing not scaling.

For a start I'm guessing your Display is not a 1280x720 pixel affair - which means if you up-convert your DVD Video discs to 1280x720 in the Source the Display still has to re-convert that signal to fill its pixel array.

The majority of up-converting DVD players only offer you 1280x720P or 1920x1080i Output resolutions to choose from - though its worth noting the SnaZio SZ1350 also offers you 1024x768P, 1366x768P and other 'PC' resolutions via DVI which means you have more chance of a Pixel to Pixel match and by-pass any additional 'scaling' in the Display.

Best regards

Joe

5. cjb110

cjb110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The samsung's tv's are both 1366x768 panels...so rescaling wont be a major problem, if they do it?

though this why I asked...I'm not sure how good these upscalers really will be?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Your mate, like many others, may be under the impression that upscaling DVD players add more information/resolution to existing standard def DVDs. They don't. Whether the scaling is done in the display or the player, DVDs are still 480/576 resolution and as Joe says if you are not careful you may introduce two stages of scaling instead of one which may actually make things look worse.

That said an upscaling player MAY produce a more pleasing pic to your eyes, the only way to find out is to try one.

7. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    The Samsung HD950 can upscale to 768p.

8. Lord Midas

Lord Midas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been using Samsung's LE26R41BDX along with the DVD-HD950. I've connected the 2 using HDMI and run pretty much every DVD at 720p.

PQ is glorious (on well printed DVDs). :thumbsup:

Even though the LCD is 1366x768, the 1280x720 upscalation of the DVD still looks the guinea pigs goolies.
    To be fair i've not noticed much different between 720p and upping it to 1080i. 720p could be a bit more stable though that'd be subjective.

9. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Samsung HD950 outputs 768p and if your TV has a PC mode it may be able to display in 768p, as well as the more traditional 1080i and 720p.

I am very pleased with the PQ on my HD745 (Older DVI version of 950) using 768p on my Sharp LCD.

Nice cheap stop gap until HD DVD is available/affordable !

10. cjb110

cjb110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, thanks for the responses...I was worried that it was a gimmicky con, because as people have said they can't create content that isn't there:)

But a fair few people has said that it does seem to noticably improve the picture...and given that even the 950 can be had for just over 100 I'm going to go for one!