1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Razor, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I have a Optoma RD65 DLP TV, Sony dvp 725 and a Panasonic DMRE55.

I wish to upgrade my dvd player but I am unsure about spending £900 - £1000 on a player with HD DVD promised by the end of the year. At what level of money would I see a difference in picture quality from my 5 year old £600 Sony 725? The picture from my sony is far better than the 9 month old panasonic E55. I would like to use the DVI/HDMI port.

Thanks

2. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not going to be an instant answer, but just ordered a Pioneer 868 this morning for £699 (Multiregion) to replace my Sony 725 (I agree that the 725 was ahead of its time for picture). Tell you in a couple of days.

Like most, I am salivating at the thought of HD DVD. But compared to the launch of DVD the uptake is going to be a little slow. I think it's going to be a good couple of years or so before I step into that market. I'm planning to enjoy the leap into i-link and HDMI for the next few years whilst blu-ray comes good.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I have tried a pioneer 868 and to be honest there is not much of a difference when compared through component. I had to pause the picture for a detailed side by side comparasion and only then could you see that the Pioneer 868 had slightly less noise in the picture (a very small difference). I never tried a dvi/hdmi comparrasion to component. To be honest I was shocked at the results as I expected the Pioneer 868 to wipe the floor with this Sony 725.
    The conclusion I came to was the Pioneer 868 minor picture quality difference was not worth the extra £700 needed to get this player. (I am not bothered by SACD or DVD-Audio). Thanks for the post robbie.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm confused, you say you want to use HDMI yet you saw the 868 using component, I'm not saying the 868 is right for you but if you need 720p then using the internal scaler could improve the PQ noticeably, even 576p is cleaner in digital than analog.

The 868 is on a par with the others in its' class so if you're not impressed with it then I don't see what else you're looking for, the comparable Denon may be marginally better but not more, I have an 868 so perhaps a little biased. ;)

My guess is you'll have to go to the Denon A1 class of machine, well into 4 figures, for something noticeable better.

5. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As a 868 owner do you think I'll be happy with the results?