DVD upgrade - Sony to Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simon1967, Jun 26, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am upgrading my home cinema and it was mentioned that my DVD player MAY need to be replaced.

At present, I have a region free Sony 7700 DVD which is about 3 years old (maybe older) and was pointed in the direction of the Toshiba 900e. It isn't a new model but apparently it still is pretty amazing even today. It is also available at £699 now at LE concepts. Doing a quick search, people seem pretty happy with the player but not so happy with LE Concepts - is this a fair comment?

So my questions are:

1. Bearing in mind that my Sony was a flagship player, will the Toshiba be a worthwhile jump? Anybody seen both?

2. How is simple stereo playback on the Toshiba?

3. How does the Toshiba stack up the latest players of today?

I am not unhappy with my Sony and it works perfectly okay but am curious as to whether it is worth upgrading. It has been in a box for the last 6 months so cannot really remember what the picture was like. BTW, it will be used with a Denon A1SR amp, Panny W4 42 plasma & Barco Cine 7 projector so the display devices should benefit from good quality sources.

Thanks for any advice

Simon

2. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    One last thing - should I even be thinking about this if I have to deal with LE Concepts? I notice they were heavily discussed a while back but even though there web site says that they have the items in stock - are they to be trusted?

Thanks again.

Simon

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there's a customer comments on pricerunner... read up first.

You could consider using a off-board scaler/progressive thingy between the DVD & Plasma (I did hear the Sony 7700 has the Chroma bug, the Iscan Ultra will remove this)

4. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is this the pricerunner.com website. Couldn't find any info - do you have a link?

I have vaguely heard of the chroma bug but what is it and why should I be worried. Never noticed anything wierd on my old display devices - JVC crt and Seleco 400 projector.:confused:

Thanks

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bad. There's no retailer info on LE Concepts. However some on Techtronics, Krish, Empire Direct etc.

Enter the product you're looking for, click on "Show Prices" then selext "xx reviews"

Info on Chroma bug..
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

Daft, the older 7000 doesn't have Chroma wheras the new one does (different chipset) My 1st gen Sony (500D) uses the same chipset as the 7000.

btw the Tosh's also have the Chroma bug.

Players I know of that are bug free are Panasonic, Tag.