1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD upgrade questions (and some others too!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jayjay, Jun 1, 2003.

1. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hiya folks - I've been lurking for a while but now it's time for me to ask some advice.

I'm planning to purchase a Loewe Xelos (32') TV to replace my 6 year old Mitsi and that's going to start the upgrade bug - I can feel it already :D

My system is a Sony DVP-S725D DVD, Sony STR-DB1070 receiver and B&W speakers all round excepting the centre, which is a Royd model, and a cheap Sony sub.

Obviously not the last word in fidelity but it certainly does the business, especially in 6.1 mode - when I picked up the Royd 2nd hand I moved my previous B&W centre to the rear for the centre rear effects channel.

Well I may as well cut to the chase - will the DVD player make the cut with the Loewe? I've seen quite a few new models in the DV market over the last 3 years and wonder whether an equivalently priced new DVD will be much better than my 725D?

Assuming that it has I had very tentatively short-listed the following players...

Sony DVPNS905V
    Philips 963sa
    Rotel RDV-1060

OK here are my questions...

- Is it worth going up to the Arcam DV88 or 89? (it's hugely more expensive!)
    - How does PAL progressive scan feature in all this? All the new stuff is PAL prog this and PAL prog that - do I need do buy a PAL Prog DVD to get the best picture from my TV? Is my new TV PAL prog compatible?
    - What does everyone put there TV and centre speakers on? The Royd centre isn't shielded but it works just fine sitting in the bottom on TV cabinet at the moment but I'd like to hear from anyone who has a more elegant solution..

Thx in advance. Jay

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Loewe 32" being used with a Toshiba SD-2109DB, comparing the performance of my Philips DVD-963SA and Denon DVD-3800 through it , could see little if any benefit. Have also tried an Arcam DiVA 88+.
    I would keep using your old Sony DVD player, replace it when faulty, unless you need DVD-A / SACD ?
    Players are becoming cheaper and better all the time so if you are content for now, when you do buy a new one it's going to be even better value.
    I'm sure others will disagree ! :)

3. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm using a Toshiba 220 into a Loewe Aconda, and for a player that cost me just over 100 quid, the picture is absolutely superb.

The low cost Toshiba's are stunning picture performers.

Adzman

4. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I had a Sony DVP-S725D DVD player before my toshiba sd-900e, the sony is still a fantastic player and still beats most new players. i payed alot for my player with a multi region mod, in the days where players cost £500+.
    I would stick with it , unless your going to pay alot for another dvd player.

5. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thx a lot for your replies.

So the Sony's still got a few things going for it. My wife'll be happy to hear that!

Still have a question re: PAL Prog Scan thought. Is it of any benefit with the Xelos?

Jay