DVD upgrade from Tosh 220e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NewBeetle, Sep 27, 2003.

1. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    I have just got my first Cinema Sound set up, a Pioneer AX3 receiver with JM labs Sib and Cub 5.1 package. My TV is a sony KP-44PS2 RP set. And I am currrently using a Toshiba 220e DVD player via RGB scart, and Digital coax to the AX3 for the sound.

I was satisfied with my DVD player until I bought the Amp and speakers and now feel that it kinda the poor relation in the set up. TV rrp £2000+ , Amp/speakers rrp £1700, DVD rrp £179 (available for ridiculously low £60 now) . This makes me think the DVD player isn't really on the same level as my other equipment.

To be honest the picture from the DVD is pretty good via RGB, but I am sure better can be had for not too much cash. So what I am really looking for is an upgrade of sound, to go with my new revceiver and speakers.

How much am I looking at to see a noticable improvement in both picture and sound? Which players would you suggest? I assume the jump to mid range players £250-£400 would be quite a big one in terms of sound quality , much the same as a £100 cd player compared to a £400 one?

Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    How about the Toshiba SD900E (previous flagship model) for 499 quid? Available from www.leconcepts.com as is the newer Toshiba SD530 for 199 quid.

The jump in sound and picture quality from the budget models to the mid range models isn't actually that much to be honest, there are improvements but they aren't enormous. The Toshiba 220 is an excellent player for the money so don't write it off because it's now cheap.

3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,363
    Thanks for reply Jase, you suprise me somewhat though. I really thought there would be some big improvements for double money.

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Not really. If you had a lesser DVD player already or a much older one, but you don't. The Toshibas are class leaders for DVD players along with Pioneer.

If you directly compare the SD220 to the SD900 (originally 1300 quid) then you will see/hear some improvements. CD playback is better, bass better defined, clearer details. Picture has more detail in it. What you mostly get for your money is far superior build quality/construction, DVD Audio and NTSC Progressive Scan.

I had the SD210 as a 2nd player and could compare it directly with the SD900 (RGB output) by flicking back and forth between inputs on the TV (32 inch) and Amp and got the above mentioned improvements.

It's possible others may see/hear more but that's what I found.

Just to add. The S-Video output of the SD900 is superb and the Component Output even better.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    lol.You shouldnt go by the rrp. My sd210-e was £220 when i brought it - it's still a supurb dvd player even though you can buy the 220e for £50 now.

Jase is right - they are class leader and it will take a lot of £££ to see and significate improvements.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If Your TV has component ins or will do prog scan than a HK DVD25 or Marrantz DV4300 might be worth a look. if RGB Scart is all you have Stick with the tosh and upgrade the cables etc for small improvements.