DVd upgrade for plasma????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TopMeTom, Sep 28, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I have an 'old' 717 pioneer,works perfectly well,but i am upgrading to plasma from a 32 philips.
    So is it worth upgrading to a different player,if so what do you recommend?
    I will be getting the av-sales panny 6 package which comes with a quinttro scart switcher,so no rush to upgrade yet...

Phil:zonked:

2. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If your plasma has a DVI input, then it might be worth waiting until players with DVI outputs become more common. Whilst they are not guaranteed to be better than "normal" component players (especially in combination with an expensive video processor), the fact that everything is kept in the digital domain is definitely an advantage. The early ones such as the Momitsu/Bravo seem to give great pictures but also appear somewhat buggy, but hopefully some of the big players will get in on the act soon.

Cheers,
    Ian.

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Phil, I had a 717 and embarked on the "upgrade" path to my subsequent chagrin. I've been through four players since and nothing, to my eyes, has performed as well as the 717 which I now bitterly regret junking. Sound is a different issue and there are many more versatile players out there, but if picture quality is your prime concern I strongly recommend you don't scratch your upgraditis!

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Cheers guys,maybe i'll stick with the 717 for now then:)

Phil

5. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 42" Panny plasma, standard definition. Because this only has 480 lines all PAL DVDs are downscaled to fit the resolution on the screen.

It is very hard to tell the differene between DVD players, although I would recommend upgrading to prog scan as this is less tiring on the eyes.