1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD up to £500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wakko, Feb 21, 2003.

1. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

The budget is £500
    The premium consideration is picture quality, bearing in mind that I have no progressive scan capability on my current tv (a.f.a.i.k), no projector or plasma (I'm working on it though)

I've looked at the usual suspects
    Denon 2800 MkII
    Pioneer DVD646A

Just wondering if the Denon (with its prog scan) is worth the extra £200 in terms of picture quality in terms of RGB.

I need no gizmos of any worth, the kit I'll be using it with is as follows

Panasonic TX28PK2
    3802 Rx
    Monitor Audio Silver 6i's
    Monitor Audio LCF Centre

The dvd I'm replacing is a Tosh SD210e

Any advice would be heartily welcomed

Graham

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Graham,

I suspect that was a typo and you meant to write Pioneer DV-656A. I've got it's bigger brother, the 757Ai, and I'm very pleased with it's performance - CD replay is just outstanding. I've seen some very good reports on the 656A - do a search on here. The 656A also features DVD-A and SACD, whereas the Denon has neither. I think the 656A is a bit of a bargain at £340 for a multi-region modded one. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest opting for a Toshiba SD900E dvd player, RRPd at £1300, available from Hyperfi for £399, I bought it myself in fact, top notch player. There's a review on http://www.whatvideotv.com if you're curious to read more.

4. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help,
    Dutch, it was indeed a typo...I am obviously certifiable :zonked:

The 656A looks a good bet though it seems DVD-A--SACD are "formats of the future", it might be nice to listen to Carole King in 5.1.

Dimmy, I read the review of the 900, only prob was that it said it didnt have a scart output...not good when the partner is only just being kept sweet with the spaghetti central behind the rack :nono: , I could do without having to run a S-video to the front of the tv.

So I've gone ahead and ordered the 656A from Hi-Fi Junkies for 299 + 10 delivery. I've got a few bits from them before and they use UPS couriers...I know it aint going to be used for footy practice.

Thank you both for your help, it's appreciated

Graham

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Graham,

Glad to hear you've gone for the 656A, and at a good price too! :p By the way, the SD900E does indeed have a Scart output. I have one of these also and can vouch for the battleship build quality and corresponding superb picture/sound quality. Enjoy your 656A :smashin:

Steve