DVD up-scaling /Plasma up-scaling

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyTT, Mar 21, 2006.

1. andyTT

andyTT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently upgraded my TV to a Pioneer Plasma. I am currently using a Yamaha DVD and AV Receiver and using component cables (video) and optical (sound) [I suppose the Pioneer plasma is then up-scaling the image:confused: ]

Would I get much benefit from a new DVD with up-scaling and HDMI over my current setup (I guess what I'm asking is the up-scaling in a £300 DVD better than that built into a modern plasma??). If to get any noticeable benefit I would have to spend £600-1000 on a top end DVD then I guess I will wait 12 months and buy a new HD DVD player.

Also if I went for the new DVD option is there still an optical TOS cable to provide and sound feed to the receiver as the Yamaha has no HDMI input/switching??

Cheers, Andy:)

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello andyTT

Your Pioneer PlasmaTV has a 1024x768 pixel array so yes every video source you plug to it - no matter if they are Standard or High Definition are 'scaled' by the TV's on-board Video Processor to fill the screen with an image.

Up-conversion within a DVD player is not a guarantee of a better image - and keep in mind the up-conversion will never be to 1024x768 so no matter if you up-convert to 1280x720P or 1920x1080i the PlasmaTV still has to re-process those signals to 1024x768.

Outputting a converted or non-converted signal via an HDMI socket is again NOT a guarantee of video nirvana.

That said a 300.00 GBP DVD Video player with high quality deinterlacing plus up-conversion plus an HDMI Output may very well outperform your current DVD player - I'd try to organise a 'Head to Head' before you made a purchase though.

Most DVD Video players that are fitted with an HDMI Output will also provide simultaneous Optical and Co-axial Digital audio Outputs.

There's no guarantee that an HD DVD or Blu-ray Disc player is going to be anything more than a very basic DVD Video player - a lot of folk are assuming these 'next generation' players will automatically be great DVD Video players without actually testing them.

Best regards

Joe

3. Stilgar

Stilgar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 436SXE has an intern scaler (which should be very good) so you wouldn't benefit at all from an up scaling DVD player. In fact, scaling up with a DVD player in combination with the 436RXE or 436SXE would result in no image.

This may sound weird, but it is the truth. I recently bought a DVD DVD-2910 and Pioneer 436RXE and noticed that I couldn't scale up with the Denon (to 720p or 1080i). I tried to change every single option in the setup menu from both the Pioneer and Denon but nothing worked. So I called the shop. They called to Denon, Denon directed them to Pioneer. They spoke to the tech guy responsible for the new RXE/SXE and he said that the new models have an excellent intern scaler which automatically scales the image up to the optimal resolution. He also recommended using the scaler from the Pioneer because apparently it's the most up-to-date. Pioneer also refers to the scaler on their website, only it's called "Dynamic HD Converter" there.

Hope this can help you ...