1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Ultimum Platinum

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andypandy, Jun 28, 2002.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I purchsed this DVD for a a diagnostic tune-up of my TV/DVD.

On the visual side the geometry tests out 4x3, widescreen and anamorphic widescreen. It expects you to switch your TV to the various aspects as you check the geometry settings against a test pattern of 4 circles around the edges with one in the middle.

The 4x3 test was spot on and I tweaked a little the widescreen/letterbox settings in the service menu. The problem or question is how do you set the TV into anamorphic widescreen to test the geometry ?
    In widescreen mode on my TV the anamorphic pattern i.e the 4 cirlcles in the corners of the screen are not completely visible.
    The TV , a panny 36PF10, switches between 4x3, FULL, JUST and panasonic auto as well as the zoom screens.

I suppose I may have to assume it's correct as adjusting further will disrupt the correct geometry under the nomal letterbox and 4x3 viewing. It's a pity it cannot be checked ?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Surely the "Full" mode should let you check the anamorphic wide settings. By anamorphic do you mean 2.35:1 ratio or any film that has been authored to take advantage of a widescreen TV (correct) i.e. a picture that would look vertically stretched on an old 4:3 TV. If you can't check it then bad luck. I am interested where you got this DVD from though. Please tell us all!

3. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The DVD can be found at:-
    http://www.playserver2.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=4876 - play247 are currently out of stock.

(16:9) Full, according to the manual states:- Will display the picture to it's maximum size but with slight elongation.

I have a feeling the test picture displayed on the anamorphic test is an anamorphic picture, hence the TV should be set to widescreen (full) and the internal circuitry should do the rest and resize it -which means the anamorphic picture is not displaying properly on my set unless I go into the service menu and squeeze the picture further (i.e Horizontal amplitude and possible the horizontal position).

What's even more confusing is the that I thought anamorphic widescreen picture is basically NOT a wider picture compared to non-anamorphic. ?? I'm a bit lost - maybe I should leave it as it is.

I checked a scene from 'A few good men' - the courtroom scene which was used an example on another web site to show the differences between widescreen and 4x3 and mine is now spot on, but that's not anamorphic. I do not have any of the example anamorpic films I could campare with.

4. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    According to the unofficial Arcam DV88 FAQ this disc doesn't play on the DV88. Strange...

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm fairly sure that you're right about the "Full" mode although as far as I know a widescreen TV corrects the 1:1.83 cinema ratio to 16:9 (1:1.78) by increasing vertical overscan slightly. I think people would notice if the picture was elongated. Perhaps its a bit of both, I'm not sure.

As far as anamorphic vs. std widescreen goes, they both are identical in width (horizontal resolution) as you said, but an anamorphic picture has far better vertical resolution... the TV does not need to stretch the picture vertically to fill the screen.

If the pic. looks ok to you then I wouldn't stress too much ;)

Thanks for the play.com link btw.

rct.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from www.ezydvd.com/au

Including postage cost approx £10.50, almost £20 cheaper than play and it came from Australia.

Ordered it on a Friday afternoon, arrived the following Friday morning.

Used them a number of times now. Service is very good and delivery has always been 1 week after ordering.

7. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I originally purchased mine from Box Office , but that was a few years ago and it was the cheapest at the time.
    £10 is very good value for such a demo/diagnostic DVD.

8. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curious to know if any body prefers the Platinum to the Avia disc?
    Any body tried both on the same system?
    :confused:

9. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    With much perserverience I have managed to align both anamorphic & widescreen pictures on my set, not to mention the dreaded 4x3.

I have come to the conclusion after many days of messing about with the settings in the sevice menu and checking and comparing stills from various DVD's on the internet that the widescreen test on the platinum DVD that state you should see circle patterns - well, not quite !!. On the anamorphic test they should be true circles.

I am content and happier now.
    Maybe I should not have mentioned the dreaded 4x3, as 'Air Force One' apparently has more of the picture using 4x3 rather than widescreen version. It has something to do with the way it was originally shot.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Curious to know if any body prefers the Platinum to the Avia disc? Any body tried both on the same system?"

Yes, I've run both Avia and Video Essentials Platinum through my system.

If you're looking for a cheap, quick and easy set-up disc which seems to get things pretty much the same as Avia then the VE Platinum is the disc for you. It has far fewer tests and instead seems to concentrate more on the basics that you can adjust on most TVs from the remote control.

The main difference in the basic tests are with the Contrast setting, Avia uses vertical blocks while VE uses a thin, criss cross line pattern.

Brightness test is better on Avia.

I found colour saturation a little easier to set using VE, although neither disc seemed to allow me to set my TV to what they claimed was the correct point.

Both discs have good points and bad points but overall I would break it down as follows:

Avia - 8/10
    + huge range of tests, nice presentation, seems technically excellent
    - still expensive, you'll never use most of the tests

VE Platinum - 7.5/10
    + simple but powerful for basic set-up, some cool audio tests (noise floor, rattle test etc.) and some OK demo sequences.
    - way less tests than Avia, demo material shows its age.

Two other things:

I set-up my system using RGB through an RGB only cable. When changing to a non-RGB source (VCR for example) the correctly calibrated picture has far to much colour saturation and is lacking brightness. It therefore makes sense to also set up your system using your DVD player outputting a non-RGB signal and note the differences in settings for when viewing non-RGB sources.

Make sure you turn off any PNR or AI options when using either calibration disc. I also calibrated my TV with 100hz on and then with it off.

One last warning about these discs... you will find yourself using them an awful lot! I swear they are the Crack of the overall home cinema drug addiction :)