• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DVD-TV connection - this should be a piece of cake!

fletch5535

Standard Member
My employer has just awarded me a Samsung 650 LCD TV and a JVC DVD home cinema system, and despite having done this many times in the past, I am having trouble connecting everything together, with the result that:

(1) The DVD will not send sound to the TV (no problem with picture, just sound). This is no big deal as I'd rather use the external surround sound anyway.

(2) The TV will not send sound to the DVD/external speakers (even when selecting "external speaker"), so we're stuck with the tinny sound from the internal speaker.

I've tried a SCART, fibre-optic, and component video methods of hooking it up all with the same result. It's impossible to put these in the wrong holes, so I don't see what I can be doing wrong.

Any thoughts? Could there be something wrong with either the TV or DVD?

Because I got this through an awards company, I can't exactly "refer to my retailer" or take it back.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
It may sound a bit obvious but, have you read the manuals?

To get sound from the DVD system to the TV along with video, you'll need component cables for the video and another pair of phono cables for the sound.
Or, a scart cable will do both audio and video but, the picture won't be as good as when using the component cables.

The TV will have a pair of audio out phono sockets and an optical out. One of these should go to the appropriate input on the JVC DVD system. This will give you the TV sound out of the DVD system.

Paul

fletch5535

Standard Member
Thanks, youngsyp, but actually it was even more basic than that.

I 'd connected everything just fine, but in a senior moment I had failed to notice the "function" button on the DVD remote :rolleyes:, and using this to select "TV audio" sends the TV sound through the DVD speakers.

Manuals? Are they those silly books that explain everything you already know, but fail to mention the things you don't? They're for girls, aren't they?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom