1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD / TV colour stability problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Darryl D., May 17, 2003.

1. Darryl D.

Darryl D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, thanks to the owners and contributors to these forums for a fantastic source of info - way better than any magazine off the newsagent's rack :)

I have a problem which I think may be cable-related but I'd like your opinions before I splash out on a new cable. I've searched the threads on this site and can't find where anyone has had a similar problem.

TV is Sony KV-32LS65 (3 scart inputs) and DVD player is Pioneer DV-535 (component out). When playing DVDs I get intermittent changes in brightness - around 30 seconds of correct brightness then 2 seconds of brighter image then correct brightness, etc. It's like a flaring effect and is very annoying.

It only happens on DVD, not when watching TV broadcasts or VCR. Sony supplied 2 cables and the same problem occurs with both of them. It also occurs with either of the available rgb inputs on the TV. My settings on TV and DVD seem correct.

The problem doesn't exist when the DVD is plugged into my old TV so it seems the problem is cable, or electronics at the TV end.

Any opinions please?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome to the forums! :hiya:

It sounds macrovision related at first glance but I'm rather confused how you're connecting component out to the TV... If I remember correctly, the only TVs that support component via SCART are Loewe ones. Shouldn't you be using the S-Video output of the DVD player?

3. Darryl D.

Darryl D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rct, thanks for the welcome and the heads up re macrovision (which I hadn't heard of before). Found out more about it and its 'bursts of colour' MO certainly fits the problems on my kit.

Several choices now -

go back to Sony and probably get the 'within spec', 'must be cables' etc, response (will be interesting to see if Sony Australia is as disinterested in consumer's problems as Sony UK appears to be)

firmware upgrade to disable macrovision and get multi-region as a bonus :D )

run my dvd off composite which doesn't have the problem but looks sh*te.

I haven't tried an s-vid cable but wouldn't that get the same processing problems at the TV?

Regarding your query about component to scart on the LS65, I'm pretty sure what I said was correct. DVD output is component (Y,Pb,Pr) going to either of 2 compatible scart inputs on TV.

Thanks agian for the help and I'll let you know how I go

:)

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just checked the Specs of the Oz LS65 and as you said it has component input. I wrongly assumed that it would be similar to the UK LS65 which carries only RGB scarts. Hence you are using the best option available and S-Video would be something of a "downgrade".

Some TVs like/dislike macrovision more than others but if it's at all possible I'd take your DVD player to a shop and see if it occurs on a display model to make sure that your TV is fine.

Good luck with getting this fixed ;)

5. jumpdeveraux

jumpdeveraux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow someone with same issue I have with the LS65, did you ever get this issue resolved? Replacement set?

I've seen the problem when using my XBox and PS2 using component input and originally thought it was specific to my XBox until I noticed it when using the PS2 this week.

I would very much like to fix the problem as it is very annoying, my TV is still within its 1 Year warranty so if it is definitely the set, they can bring me out a new one!