1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD true resolution is the same as the Viera range, so who go Hi Def?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rob Sheep, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering purchasing a Plasma, I've a 32" Xelos and would appreciate the extra screen size. I've been told by several dealers that Hi Def is way off and is really going to be out of most peoples price range for years. So is it worth me buying a 37" Viera or a 37" Spheros - Loewe LCD?

2. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..I'm right in assuming the Panasonic is VGA then? Not been impressed with panels with such limited res - even if it's only 37" I personally wouldn't go for that option. I think you only need to read info in these forums to establish that the opinions of the salesmen you spoke to were perhpas slightly mis-informed, and were more than likely geared to them wanting a sale right now. You'll get more informed answers reading on here.

It's all down to personal interpretation - HiDef a long way off - well, WMVHD films are available now, standalone players (rather than a PC) will be available soon, Sky and the Beeb broadcasts - 18 months (Ok, nothing concrete) - Euro 1080 - Now! - Blu-Ray/HD-DVD just over 12 months.

Cost - anyone half considering HD I'm sure is fully aware of the sort of costs involved.

In any case, 12 - 18 months from now is an age in the electronic retail market. True 1080 TV's are just hitting the market at around the 4 to 5k mark. 18 months from now with added competition - who knows how much they'll be? 720 will do for now - depends how much disposable income you have and how often you upgrade your kit as well.

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    sounds like your retailer is either misinformed or trying to push for a sale now. surprise eh?

personally, i'd hold off a bit. 32" isn't so bad unless you're in a huge room, so if you can wait until sky's HDTV plans are concrete and more details are out (and more tv's are made to support them) i'd do that. unless you have no interest in sky HD of course..

but HD is already here, just its for those of us who like to expand out of the "your only choice is sky digital" mentality. as stated above, there's already european HDTV channels, and you can build a HTPC that'll export HD without a problem. someone has to be a pioneer for all this, or it'll never get established!

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the PlayStation 3 will play Blu-Ray DVD movies.

I can't imagine the PS3 costing any more than £400. If HD-DVD are to compete, their players will have to be available below this mark.

Out of most peoples pockets? I don't think so.

In 2-3 years time, the market for Hi-Def tellys, plasmas and projectors could be huge.