1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Trading and Copyright Issues

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DVD Baron, May 25, 2004.

1. DVD Baron

DVD Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all,
    I'm a big fan of DVD / VHS and general movie trading. I know it happens openly not just here but on other sites. But I'm unclear as to what exactly the copyright rules regarding the trading of DVD's etc might be. My understanding is that original copies may be traded, but copies may not openly be traded as it would be an infringment to make a copy of a movie - can anyone enlighten me of the laws in the UK?
    Regards,
    RKBB

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    If you want to get really piccie... its probably illegal for us to trade non R2 dvd's as we are breaking the license with regards to a product which is not for sale in the UK.

But with regards to copies.. you are exactly right.. its a breach of copyright end of story..

Cheers

Matt

3. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    correct ... and trading 'copies' of DVDs here or on 'other forums' will get you booted off & banned relatively quickly

4. DVD Baron

DVD Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as well I'm not a 'bootleger' then :D - but where I work there are the in-house 'experts' who claim that the warnings at the start of DVDs / VHS etc state that you cannot allow this movie to be watched outside of private home viewing, which means it can't technically be traded legally - I maintain its my ****ing disc and I'll do what I want with it - I think you're right about R1, or any other material that our masters at the BBFC haven't classified as being a no-no, but other then that if it's an original, R2 disc I don't see a problem with it being traded openly.
    Thanks for the feedback,

5. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to see them attempt a prosecution against someone for swapping one legitimately purchased R2 DVD for another ...

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Moving to DVD Talk :)

7. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that a DVD (like a CD or a book) has a bearer licence, i.e. the licence is the medium on which the copyrighted work is stored. Hence, you can lend a DVD to someone perfectly legally since the licence passes to them with the disc (and back to you when they return the disc.) Whether they can legally restrict your right to sell the item second-hand or to trade, I would doubt but I don't know for sure. However, watching a copy after you have sold or traded the original would be copyright infringement since you no longer have a licence to view the material.

_