1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD too tough for some TV's?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Audioguy, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is a Panasonic TX-36PF10F 36" 100 Hz widescreen that is about five years old. I started using it with a Sony DVD player of the same age with no problems. But when I upgraded to a newer DVD player, first a Pioneer DV-656 and now a harman/kardon DVD30, the TV started having problems with handling the RGB and S-video signals from the players. Same also happened with a borrowed Denon DVD-2900.

I get interference that shows as horizontal bands that flicker at the top quarter of the screen. It doesn't matter if I switch polarity of the AC plug, turn off everything else electrical in the house, use better and shorter cables etc.

Could it be that newer DVD players have higher bandwidth on their video outputs and that the TV gets problems from this? I have tried to turn on/off all video filtering/processing on both the TV and DVD players with little or no result. My other RGB sources (satellite and terrestrial STB's) does not produce this problem.

Any and all ideas on how to remedy this are welcome. Does anyone else recognize this problem? :lease:

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Audioguy, and welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

What you're describing sounds a bit like Macrovision interfering with the tv.

On some dvd players, Macrovision is disabled when it is converted to multiregion, depending on the type of chip fitted. It could be that the Sony's Macrovision is disabled, while on the other players you have tried the Macrovision is still active.

Do you know who did the multiregion upgrade on your players?

3. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks, this was the best lead so far in my quest! Yes, the Sony was relieved of its Macrovision at the same time as it was modified to be region free. That was a hardware mod done by a local dealer in Gothenburg, Sweden where I live. On the other players the mod was software, only taking care of multiregion, not Macrovision.

How do I get rid of Macroviosion on a h/k DVD30? Are there other players (e.g. Denon) that are easy to defeat Macrovision on?

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Glad I was able to help.

I don't know what the market is like in Sweden for multiregion upgrades, but if it's anything like the UK there should be several dealers that carry out specialized upgrades that as well as defeating regional coding, also allow for bypassing FBI screens and defeating Macrovision.

If you can't find anyone specialized enough to carry out the upgrade, you might want to consider one of these but I have no idea if they degrade the signal in any way.

5. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot! I will start the quest immediately. Will post the results here. :thumbsup:

6. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Fatbob and everyone else. Just wanted to leave an update on my faulttracing of my TV (se top post). I tried to remove the Macrovision signal from the DVD with a so-called macrovision killer but that box actually made the problem worse. Don't know if the box was faulty or if the problem lies elsewhere. Anyway I returned the box.

Next I tried to talk to Panasonic Sweden but they had no idea how to solve this specific problem other than byuing a Panasonic DVD player (go figure). The service guy I talked to has the same TV as me but he has no problems with his set. One modification he adviced me to do was to remove pin 1, 3 and 19 (audio and video out) from the RGB scart connector (AV1) on my TV since they have had crosstalk problems with some DVD players. I of course tried this mod but no result. :mad:

So now it seems that my only hope is to try to replace my relatively new and very expensive TV or just learn to live with the interference until the TV dies of old age. :(

Does anyone here have experience with external macrovision killer boxes that actually work?

7. Philbill

Philbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be worth trying this device. http://www.sonel.com
    I have ordered one (gold as standard were out of stock) Not sure if it will solve your problems, but am hoping to use mine to convert my large VHS to DVD via a Pan E85.
    Regards
    Phil

8. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil

This looks like a more clever version than a separate box that I tried before with poor results. Can you post here what results you get?

9. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't know if you're prepared to ship your player to the UK, but there are people over here that can fit a multi region upgrade to your player that will defeat Macrovision.

The only problem is that I can't see any mention of upgrades for Harmon Kardon players, but this may not be a problem if its internals are cloned from another player, in which case an upgrade for another brand of player could do the trick.

If you want to go this route, try contacting Paul Taylor (link here, and select "help and support").
    If he can't help you, he may be able to point you in the direction of someone that can.

Cheers.

10. Philbill

Philbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will let you know how I get on.
    Phil

11. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Latest update:

I finally took the TV to my local Panasonic service centre after a long e-mail and telephone conversation with Panasonic Sweden. All the service guys did was confirming that I have this problem with macrovision interference so now it's official. Then they proceeded by stating that the TV was within spec and did nothing to try to repair it. Instead they turned on the TV's noise reduction circuits on full blow, cranked up the sharpness and contrast and told me to pay 300 SEK (23 GBP). :rolleyes:

This resulted in a TV with almost invisible macrovision interference but with exaggerated contrast, much less details, black that is dark grey and artefacts when there are objects moving in the picture. So in the choice between really poor picture all the time or macrovision interference when I watch DVD's I choose to try to get rid of the macrovision signal from the DVD player. :suicide:

Thanks for your advice, fatbob. I will contact Paul Taylor to see what he can offer.