1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to WMV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by m@rk, Jan 15, 2004.

1. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I am looking for some software that will allow me to convert DVDs that I own to Windows media format.

The reason for this is that my new work laptop does not have a DVD drive (and I can't have one) but when staying in a hotel, it would be nice to watch a movie.

On top of this, I could even play the thing on my pocket PC (with a big enough memory card) and insert clips into powerpoint presentations.

Now with my CDs, I could just open up Media Player, insert the CD and it just gets copied to HDD without any fuss. Obviously there is not support to do this with DVDs.

I would even accept the output being MPEG or AVI as I could then use Windows Media encoder.

Most importantly though is that I want something that is nice and simple to use.

Stick the DVD in, press go and out pops the file (after some time).

So can anybody recommend any good software to do this or any sites that explain what is needed?

And before this post gets deleted, I am wanting to copy DVDs that I already own not copy CDs that I have rented or borrowed.

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The widely used way to rip DVDs and make them playable off hard-disk is to convert them to DiVX format .. 1 DVD can be compressed to less than a CD with negligible loss in quality.

There are two steps needed. First is to rip the DVD, ie. break the encryption which stops it being copied .. to do that you need something like DVD Decryptor. This is free.

Next you need an encoder. To create DivX output you can use something like Dr. DivX.

This is commercial software, it's perfeclty feasible to do it with freeware but those apps. are somewhat incsrutable for the beginner. There are also other popular formats, XVid aomng them, but again you need to be prepared to wrestle with some quite techie software and documentation to make good use of them.

This is a good intro article to this subject, that site has lots of useful info on DivX and other encoding methods.

This article describes AutoGK , an increasingly popular 'easy' way to convert DVDs to DivX format, but I can't comment on it since I have never tried this method .. it does look reasonably painless though with a bit of background understanding. :)

Finally, you can try without laying out any money using DVD Decryptor and the trial version of Dr. DivX which is what I did results are easy to obtain and the experience you gain will help you look into other options if you feel the need.

HTH.

3. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Cool

I now have Shrek playing on my PocketPC.

Well actually I have about 10 minutes of it playing as my memory card isn't big enough.

Thanks