1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to WMV with 5.1

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rambles, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Been discussing this in the MCE forum, thought I would start a new thread specifically to see if anyone has cracked this.

It has been suggested that backing up DVD's to WMV is better than Divx/Xvid due to more compatibility with players, extenders etc for similar quality and compression size.

Maintaining the 5.1 soundtrack is essential, but using vobs in Windows Media Encoder and requesting a 5.1 soundtrack fails. I understand that it is possible to use different software for the soundtracks and encode the separate channels but this seems a very long and complicated process and produces spurious results.

So anyone any ideas on how to obtain this in a not too complicated ot long winded way?

thanks

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    [​IMG]

Well I load up the .ac3 file into soft encode, save it as a six channel .wav then convert to 6 channel wma with windows audio convertor, but media encodr is kinda fussy about using a six channel .wma, what I need to do is split up the six channel .wav into 6 seperate mono .wav's and then I can load it into media encoder, anyone know a proffesional product tha can do this, eg Wavelab/Adobe Audiotion, I don't like using them free 3rd parts products like, besweet, they usually casue glitches in the audio...

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Thanksfor that - it sounds like an overly complicated process - maybe there is an alternative solution - how about mpg?

What I want is:

Back up my DVD's to hard drive
    Convert to a file that will take up less disc space,
    Maintain reasonable quality,
    Playback on media center extenders,
    And the xbox 360
    (both within the media center / my movies interface)
    And maintain the 5.1 channel soundtrack

All within one piece of software that can be set up and operated quickly and easily.

Am I asking too much?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yes you are asking for to much, 5.1 sound is an overkill, stereo sounds good enough, i doubt a media center extender could handle 5.1 audio, but if you follow the instruction i gave you, just drag your .vob in media encoder, type in the settings, hit convert and you will have your video in a few hours...

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    That's for stereo right? I don't want stereo :(
    Extenders can handle 5.1 audio.
    Xbox Media Center (XBMC) can when the AC3 file is present with divx/xvid video file, it even downmixes it to stereo if no 5.1 speakers present, so I get the best of both worlds. When viewing the file in the lounge I get full 5.1 playback, if viewing on an extender I get stereo.

However - the windows extender UI locks out vobs, xvid, divx etc, as will the xbox 360 - so... looking for an alternative microsoft friendly equivalent.

6. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Your a hard woman to please, well I'll go back to wmv encoding later on, right now I just formatted my hard drive and put on the original windows XP, going to decrypt My Terminator 2 Extreme DVD, so I can have the WMVHD version on my hard drive without the stupid drm license issue..oh and I prefer downsample 5.1 audio (Stereo) over actual 5.1 audio for DVD rips, it has more details as all the 6 channels are directed in front of your, all I do is just double the stereo signal to the back speakers, if you have an Audigy card it does it automatically... :D .....oh and I don't think an extender can handle 5.1 WMA audio, only the Xbox 360 will, basically you need a Dolby Digital Encoder chip in there to convert the 5.1 wma audio to a dolby digital bitstream, the original xbox had one that's how games were in 5.1, but I don't think Xbox Media Center is programmed to take advantage of the Dobly Digital Encoder, it simply passes an Ac3 bitstream out of the Xbox, just like the AC3 is passed out when playing a DVD on the Xbox, the Dolby Digital Encoder is not used for this, it's only used when converting non AC3 audio to 5.1, eg..WMA..., so guess your out of luck, but since the Xbox 360 is around the corner, and they claim it plays back WMVHD content, then they prolly use a dolby digital encoder in there to convert the 5.1 wma audio to a dolby digital bitstream, so you should be able to play back your 5.1 WMA files in there....anyway I wish they just had analogue 5.1 Audio output on the Xbox/Xbox 360, that way no need to buy a dolby digital decoder, just hook it straight up to your 5.1 system..., no conversion nessasary...anyway hope I cleared up some issues for you...

Yes it would be great to have your dvd's in WMV format with 5.1 audio, and it is possible, but just takes some time to find a suitable method,...makes oyu wonder why they never used the WMV format for dvd's in the first place...

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    I am verging on giving up...
    There is lots of talk about this over on www.thegreenbutton.com and it seems that no-one has cracked it, so these are my options....

1/ Continue using a third party codec such as xvid/divx and link in the AC3 file - no extender support, but smaller file sizes

2/ Maintain the original vob files with ac3 embedded - quick and easy, no re-encoding, big file sizes and no extender support

3/ Re-encode to a microsoft friendly WMV format, lose 5.1 soundtrack, but full extender support.

You would have thought Microsoft could provide us with better options?

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    You mean better options to duplicate copyrighted material? I don't think MS will do anything to encourage that.

9. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Ouch! :eek: No I don't mean that - I mean better options for people to manage their media collections. Copyrighting is nothing to do with it.

10. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    meansizzler

How are you going to rip T2 Extreme?

11. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    lisag,

Encoding AC3 (rip using DGIndex from the VOBs and any delay is automatically sorted out) to 6x Mono WAVs using BeLight (easy frontend for BeSweet) and then encoding them to WMAPro 5.1 takes about 40 minutes - this is then easily muxed in to a WMV file using WM Stream Editor. It's really not difficult.

Saying that I have downloaded a few WMV-HD movies that have AC3 and DTS streams but have no idea how they did it as I certainly cannot find a way....

12. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Well with meansizzlers help it seems we have got a bit further. It is possible to input a single vob into Windows Media Encoder, and it will encode video and a 5.1 soundtrack. With the correct version of AC3 filter installed my amp detects this and processes it correctly as a digital 5.1 soundtrack :thumbsup:

However it has been encoding Kill Bill for the last 6 and a half hours and still has a way to go :thumbsdow

And a little sample file I did earlier will not playback via the microsoft xbox extender software :thumbsdow

If you want to know the settings - we can post them here?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  13. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Have you got a file with wm9 video and ac3 audio or wm9 video and wmapro audio - if the former then I would like the settings....I know AC3 filter will re-encode the wmapro to ac3 on the fly but I'd rather have the original AC3 if possible.

14. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    No, it is WMV9 video and WMA9pro 5.1 audio, the audio is processed via my nforce2 mobo and ac3 filter with spdif out to my amp, and my amp detects it as a digital 5.1 soundtrack.

I have encoded exactly the same film to Xvid with AC3 audio, I previewed the first ten minutes of the film and could not detect any differences between the 2 soundtracks.

What do you think the differences are?

Ah - posted this before you edited your post!

15. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Just compatibility with a Xbox - my amp will not accept a WMAPro bitstream. Also idle curiousity as to how the copy of Moulin Rouge I have in WMV-HD 1080p with DTS & AC3 was made as I cannot re-create it.

16. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    OIC, actually I haven't checked whether xbmc will playback the WMAPro 5.1 audio - will do that now, the microsoft xbox extender software definitley won't. Is there no software that will merge a WMV9 video with an AC3 soundtrack?

17. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Not that I have found...

I'm sure XBMC will not re-encode the WMAPro to DD and as such it remains useless as a 5.1 format for that environment - fine on a PC though.

18. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    There are only three amps that can decode a 5.1 WMA PRO bitstream, all of them made by Pioneer, you can pick one up for £400, wow glad to see more people posting here...

19. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Not quite worth the outlay though now AC3filter does similar work for...free. Although if MS cripple the XBox 360 with no DD encoder then it might start to look more tempting.

20. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The 360 will have a DOlby Digital Encoder, so wma 5.1 will be converted to ac3 5.1 but there really should be an option to send out the audio as a wma bitstream for those with the amp...

21. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Pretty impressed to see XBMC encoding WMAPro 5.1 into DD5.1 on a test file this morning - struggling big time with 1280x720 WM9 video but I guess that was always going to be the case on it's little CPU.

22. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Oh good - the file plays back fine in xbmc for me, but I only have it connected to a CRT tv via scart, so am assuming it is downmixing to stereo.

However my version of kill bill in wmv9 and wmapro 5.1 came out at 3gb, twicethe size of the xvid/ac3 version. I encoded the video at 4mbps, will have to try lower settings... but it takes so many hours to do a single encode!

23. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    The encoder seems to think that 2mb/s would be DVD quality, why did you go so high? I don't think any XviD/DivX I have ever had that high a bitrate, did you check the bitrate on the original XviD version...Have you come from a HD source?

24. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    No its just from my DVD of Kill Bill - just check the xvid and it is 1666kbp/s, oops looks like I made a bit of an overestimation there! Will do another recode tonight at 2mbp/s.

25. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    2MBPS is dvd quaity, if your ripping from the uncompressed source, but you have to remember your ripping from an already compressed inferior source, hence the need for the higher bit rate, if only we had access to the uncompressed source...

26. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Hi, i am actually messing about with this great little programme at the moment file:///c:/Program%20Files/AutoGK/help/AutoGK_en.html , you have the choice to either decode it to Divx or Xvid keeping the ac3/dts soundtrack, it is really easy to use, all you have to do is download the ac3 filter here http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/Filters/ac3filter_0_70b.exe, you can resize the film to any size you want keeping the ac3 soundtrack the quality looks superb, just trying to mess about with the settings at the moment to try and get my amp to pick up the ac3csoundtrack.
    Hope this helps a little.

27. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917