1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd to vcd backup

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GJC, Sep 11, 2003.

1. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    At present I am unable to backup my Dvd's to dvd as I dont have the appropriate equiptment. So I use my Cd/Rw.

Software I have -

Dvd Copy Gold site here

I use Dvd Decrypter, & dvd shrink

I also have nero 6 - with all the updates.

Problem:

Firstly I used Decryptor - which did the business.
    Secondly Dvd Shrink to eliminate lots of junk.
    Then I use Nero 6 to create a VCD - this does that but creates an Mpegav file. The Mpegav file wont play in my second PC any ideas on how I can create a VCD that will work on my second PC or standalone dvd player would be good too!:rolleyes:

-----

Also, Dvd copy gold was setup to look for files on my second Hard Drive (as this is where I stored the backup film - now I cant change this - when I click on view source it always goes to the second hard drive and doesnt offer me a choice:suicide:

Any advice will be great. (probably have to re-install it)

-----
    (aside)

I backed up an R1 ver. of Final Destination 2 - I took out the extras and all the non-essential stuff using Decr. and shrink. Using Nero 6 vcd wizard to copy to Hard Drive (nrg file??) then I copied the Nrg file to CD - this created the VCD. But it also creates the Mpegav file? Works fine with the Nero player...nothing else though........?? Whole process takes 3-4 hours

-----

Regards,

GJC

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    Wait a minute - it's impossible to 'backup' your DVDs to CD since you lose quality. The only use left for your efforts would be create illegal copies of the DVDs.
    Correct?

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Incorrect I believe.

I'm not sure they are illegal hence the DVD to VCD conversion?

It would, if successfull be an image of the original minus the junk.

There is no loss in quality as compression isnt selected, however, the downside of this is that 4-5 VCD's are created, but once the extras etc are removed this would theoretically make the VCD a two disc backup.

Excuse my ignorance here - all I am trying to do is transfer the Dvd to a vcd, is this ok?

Regards,

GJC

4. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I genuinely would like to know why you feel it necessary to create back-ups of a (relatively speaking) hardy storage medium?

The 'junior' section of my DVD's contains about 60 films which the kids (3 & 7) have free access to, provided they treat them with care, which they do.

I'm not accusing you of anything underhand here, just curious why you would put yourself through something so time consuming for so little apparent gain, especially since the non feature extras are lost if you reduce it to a 2 cdr version.

For me if anything needed 'backing up', it would be those stupid cardboard covers that films occasionally come in. Stupid, just stupid.

I am, of course, willing to have my eyes opened........

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand the OP's reason though. I could do with a high quality backup onto CD-R for each film. And of course exact copy onto a DVD-R 9GB (if possible) in case of disc rot.

Say if I go away and stay in a hotel. I could take a wallet of Divx movies CD-R's with me (and I own the original films) or maybe just store them on the HD. Better than taking your original DVD's and loosing/damaging them.

Although I would not bother converting DVD's to VCD. Just convert to 800MB Divx files; they'll be more than watchable.

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Mike Swannick

The idea is that if I could create a backup Vcd of my films which my kids like to watch (ages 7 and 9) I could let them use the vcd's. cost per blank cd (very cheap). If vcd is damaged by my kids (likely) then all I do is burn another.

Thats the theory anyway.

After attempting one dvd to vcd/s conversion I can honestly say I am thinking is it worth the hassle as it takes ages.

8. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    If you get DVD2SVCD form here: http://www.dvd2dvd.org/ and can afford Cinema Craft Encoder or if not the much cheaper TMPG Encoder, you can do exactly what you want, and with a bit of reading it is a very simple thing to do (once setup it is a 1 click solution). With the use of CCE it gives excellent results, I have done VCD's/SVCD's this way and have had people think they are watching a DVD, you can also choose how many CD's you want to use; 1,2 or more and the latest version even does DVD backups as well.

More info at these sites below, search for "DVD2SVCD"

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

http://www.doom9.org/

mij

9. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    mij,

Thanks - I'll look into it.