DVD to try 'rainbow' effect...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sniper, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

Are there any particular movie sence's I should make sure to try on a DLP before purchasing! Basically I'm looking for something which will test to the max the capability of a projector with regards the 'rainbow' effect and also dark colour gradation.

Cheers!

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're looking for any scene with sharp, bright highlights against a dark background .. take the prolog to FoTR for example. The battle at the foot of Mount Doom, the shiny armour and weapons in the foreground against the dark brown gloom is a good starting point .. also, the closeup of the ring spinning and rolling in slow motion as it's thrown up in the air against the background of flames is also a good one to see rainbows where the ring is spinning.

Watch the scene normally and see if you notice anything. If not, or you're not sure, re-play and as you're watching that flick your eyes left and right but keep concentrating on the shiny highlights, that should induce worst-case rainbows.

This was my first introduction to rainbows and IMX a good indication of how I was affected generally. I see them but not badly and not so they distract me, the more extreme reactions people get like headaches and eye strain is more to do with watching DLPs per se rather than the direct effects of rainbows.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    Another technique is to set subtitles on, and then see the effect (if you do) while reading them. Especially when the image underneath is dark.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    For some reason Nigel I don't see rainbows with subtitles nearly so clearly as with 'in film' material, wonder if it's to do with the way subtitles are rendered on my projector, the Z200E is the only DLP I've had any long experience with .. I trialled an HT1000 using FoTR and that was enough to dissuade me in those days.

5. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, if they exist on a given projector at all, then I cannot miss them reading subtitles.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm .. I won't try looking for them. :)

7. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used Se7en to test mine...although probably the best test I found was the opening shots in Azumi with a flock of crows flying against a blue sky.

8. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take any black and white film and then watch it with the subtitles on.

9. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I've read Gladiator (the fight scenes with the swishing swords) is a good disc to test for rainbows.

10. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :eek: I thought I didn't see rainbows untill I watched Blade1 and 2 on my friends Infocus 5700 after setting it up with my Avia disc. Yikes !!! All those high contrast action scenes left me feeling sick. His wife could see them too but my mate swears he couldn't. No DLP for me, which is a pity because I fancied the new Mitsubishi HC900. I'll still try and demo one though.
    Cheers, Rob. :smashin:

11. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anything BLACK AND WHITE can be used, with great contrast too.
    In Star Wars I see rainbows in space batles.

12. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try spiderman in the begining part of the film.

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    A very knowledgable av fanatic on these forums told me this...

Seeing the rainbows is very much a state of mind (now thats not to say they aren't there) but try relaxing on your demo... a little yoga perhaps or a bottle of white. When you are stressed the rainbows are more prominent. When you are completely relaxed they seem to disappear. Try it!

Question. When i watch CGI movies I dont see one rainbow, not one. Why is this? :confused:

CH

PS. Pirates of the Carribean had quite a few rainbows all the way through so a couple of weeks later I had 2 bottles of white and low and behold I hardly saw any!! Mind you i didn't make it to the end of the film either :zonked:

14. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Too many bottles leads to a "screen doubling" effect I hvae found ;)

15. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi, i dont have a projector myself but im planning on getting one soon (most probably the epson tw10 as ive seen a cracking deal for it, lcd projector btw), you guys are talking about rainbows. how bad are rainbows when you see them on any projector whther itd be a dlp or lcd model. i havent really seen any live demos of projectors as i dont need to until i have the money to actually buy one, but are they bad? are they just light colours of rainbows or do they kind of like show up enough to ruin the scene of the film?

16. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only DLP pj has rainbows.
    It is not so bad. Most people don't eveb noticed them.
    I work with pictures, so sometimes it is painful form me to watch DPL pj, but that is me.

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    When I see them, then they are very distracting - bright flashes every few seconds. I certainly couldn't sit through a film with them. However, it very much depends on the projector. With some projectors (typically those with faster colour wheels) I only see a flash every few minutes - which would be fine. With others, I see the flashes every few seconds, which makes it too distracting.

Cheers,
    Liam

18. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try this http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html

I came across this little demo of the dreaded rainbow effect associated with single panel DLP PJ's. Just thought it might help people who are not sure what it looks like to get an idea of it. You will see the rainbow effect on the top word against none on the bottom word.

Note that not everyone will experience rainbow effect when watching a DLP PJ and I am not bagging DLP's as they do produce stunning video. This is intended to just demonstrate what the effect is that people talk about. Note also that you will see the rainbows in this as it is a demonstration and not the real thing.

19. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    oh wow, i never knew it would be like that. its most probably way different in a film? thanks for that link ozdvduser, have you got a demo for a chicken wire effect caused by a lcd projector?