1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to PJ or DVD to Receiver to PJ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nebby, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Purely in terms of image quality, is it better to skip the receiver and connect my dvd player direct to my PJ, or is it better to route everything through the receiver? I'm using both S-VHS and Component cables.

Kit in question:

Pioneer DV-353 dvd player

Sony STR-DB795 receiver

Seleco 350+ projector

Cheers

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Go straight to your pj! No question about it!

3. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    not got a pj - but with a plasma direct is better as well

the only advantage i can see of going through receiver is to use its switching facility to reduce the number of remotes

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Of course a direct path will be best. However the degree to which this is the case is much more moot. In truth, in the case of most AV gear of half decent quality, and assuming good interconnects, you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference at all. Routing via most AV amps will not improve things, though.

And so - if you have other sources (eg Set Top Box) you want to project, then in all probablity, the conveience of having your switching in one place will make it worthwhile.

Nothing to stop you trying it out for yourself to see if you can tell any difference.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i run my 3910 through my 3803 to my 7205 PJ by component........really didnt notice any difference in picture than running it direct.........i've found because it has to go past a lot of mains cables cuz of my computer im better off with component than HDMI.....altho i dont mind, the component picture is still staggeringly good :)
    (mind, i didnt go too cheap on the cable..lol....Wireworld Chroma 5.....good stuff)

i run it thru the amp mostly because i have 4 things i switch between regularly to view so it saves having multiple runs of cable, which saves both money and hassle finding ways to run the cable...lol

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Switching through the amp is convient and although there is the potential to see a difference i don't think anyone who even did a side by side test would be able to tell, unless the amp did some funky stuff with it.