1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DvD to Panny - which connection type?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Feersum enjinn, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My cheap old Mustek DVD stand alone player has these options

(1) Scart out
    (2) S video
    (3) Video
    (4) R/V G/Y B/U

At the moment i am using a scart to phono lead, the DVD scart socket out and plugging into the 'video in' on the panny. The other two audio wires (red_white) are left hanging as the DvD player is hooked up to the 5.1 system separately. Is this way acceptable? or ...

(1) Should i use s video to s video?

(2) And what are R/V G/Y B/U ? - how do i plug them into the panny if they are of any use?

One last thing, the DvD is plugged into a cheap 5.1 system using the 6 phone output leads. Shoudl i be using these, or should i use perhaps the Coaxial or optical option for auio output?

Sorry for all teh questions, i do not know much - but i am learning reading this forum ;)

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    You are using the lowest form of video signal (composite) and you may be satisfied with the picture as a few are including myself, but the other options will be an improvement.

If I where you I would connect s vid to svid and see what differences you notice.

The other option RGB I think requires a converter to convert the rgb output of your player to rgb vga input to the panny.

3. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    R/V G/Y B/U is component and will get u the best quality

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To use the Optical or Coax sound output, you need to have a decoder, as the output is sent out un-decoded. You say you're using a cheap 5.1 system, which won't have a decoder - you'd need to look at a proper a/v amp and speaker set, so ££££ are required!!

Re video connection - do a search on this forum - I'm sure these methods have been discussed, but the posts above give the right info - one thing I'm not sure about is whether your R/V G/Y B/U outputs will go in to the Panny's Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr component inputs - I have a feeling your outputs are RGB rather than component, and so aren't compatible. Afraid you need someone with a bit more knowledge to confirm this....:rolleyes:

HTH