1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to old set up help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mabbs, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Mabbs

Mabbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Dad a DVD player for Christmas but he only has an old tv with no scart socket. He has cable tv and the cable box has two scart sockets but I have played aout with it and can't get it to work. Is there anyway of doing it or any type of adaptor I can buy without having to buy a new tv.

Thanks in advance

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think a new tv is in order.

3. Garbage_Guy

Garbage_Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the cable box should be able to take the scart from the dvd player, some players have 2 scarts, make sure its marked "TV" not "AUX" and also make sure the plug is pushed in correctly as often when you are putting the applience back it moves the scart plug, so no picture :(

Would it be cheaper to buy a new video with scart plugs on the back?? Then the dvd pic would come down the ariel lead to the tv

They do sell TV/DVD combo's now for a very good price, you could take the player back and change it.

I know they sell scart kits so you can configure the wires how you want them
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=104_112
    But you would need at least 2,= 1X video 1X mono sound, I don't know how they would fit into a uhf ariel lead plug?

Just reading this article
    http://www.totaldvd.net/features/general/ConnectingUp.php

and it says"If your TV has only an RF (aerial) input, forget it - you can't use it with your DVD player"

4. Mabbs

Mabbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, someone told me I could buy him an RF Modulator from www.maplin.co.uk (product code VH89W) for about £30 and that would work. The video option I got told might be a problem because of macrovision. I tried putting it in the cable box but there was no button/option on the cable remote to pick up the dvd, is there something else I should be doing with that, thanks.

5. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's unlikely that running the dvd through the digibox will give you a picture on the tv. It might work if you put the cable box into standby, but I think you'll be very lucky to have this work.

This loopthrough idea should work if you buy a vcr with scart, but then you may find that the macrovision on the dvd player causes the picture to misbehave when the output is passed through the vcr. But if your dad doesn't really need a vcr I think the money would be best spent on a new tv.

I haven't tried the rf modulator option myself, but it might be worth a try, though once again I'd be concerned about macrovision causing problems.

I've just had a quick look at the currys website and they have a basic 20 inch telly with two scarts for £98 - the manufacturer is Techwood.

You could also have a look in your local supermarket to see what they have. Asda usually have a selection of sets which are quite good for the money.

Another source would be somewhere like radio rentals/box clever as they usually have some ex-rental sets for sale. One word of warning on the ex-rental sets though - the pricing isn't that much cheaper than a new budget set from other retailers, and you only tend to get a 3 month warranty as opposed to a full 12 month warranty on a new set. Yes you can buy a warrranty to extend the cover on an ex-rental, but this will take the price beyond that of a budget set from anywhere else!

My personal choice would be a low-end model tv from one of the high street retailers. A 14 inch set wil be about £70, while a 20 inch will be around £100.