1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to Mini DV?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Mitch9923, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Mitch9923

Mitch9923

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a quick question...

My cam is a Sony TRV-18, and I was wondering if there was any way to record from my DVD player (either my actual DVD player itself or the DVD player on my PC) directly to a Mini DV tape. It seems like it should be possible, I just don't know how to go about doing it.

2. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: You may get more advice in the Camcorder forum! :p

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Does your camcorder have DV-in & AV-in? Most cams don't and many that have DV-in don't have AV-in.
    If your cam has both then you can get the DVD's onto DV by either the PC or a standalone DVD player.

DVD Player:
    The camcorder must have AV-in enable for this to work!
    connect the composite (or S-Video lead) and audio phono connections from the DVD player to the cam with the AV lead that should have been supplied with the cam (will need to buy an S-Video lead, but this is better quality). If the DVD player only has scart output then you will need to get a phone (and S-Video if required) to scart adapter that is signal into scart or signal direction switchable from the likes of Maplin. If a scart adapter was supplied with the cam this will not work as it will only be signal out of scart.
    Put the cam in VCR mode.
    Start to record on the cam and play the DVD disk. The DVD should be seen on the cams LCD screen if all is working.

On PC:
    The cam must have DV-in for this to work.
    connect the cam to the PC via firewire.
    Put the cam into VCR mode
    Rip the DVD to your PC with software that can capture DVD files (some editing softwarecan do this, but not all. You will need to check whatever software you have). It is very unlikely to work with copyright protected (ie comercially bought) DVD's*.
    Open the ripped DVD files in the editing software and add to the timeline.
    Export the timeline to the camcorder*.

*You will need to read the manual of your software to be able to find out how to do this as all programs are different.

Mark.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    OK, I've just done a quick search on the TRV-18 and as far as I can see it has neither DV-in or AV-in. So the bad news is that there is no way you can get anything onto DV tape without recording it through the lens :mad:

Mark.