DVD to HDD software?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cosmicblue, Sep 10, 2007.

1. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    This question has probably been answered many times, and yet searching the forum didn't turn anything up.

I'm fast collecting a pile of bits that will be my HTPC so on the rather wild assumption that it might all work I need to think about some software.

Right now the HTPC is only going to contain musicl, most probably in iTunes and I'd like to add my DVD collection (mostly music).

Using Google to search the string "DVD copy to HDD" brings up hundreds of hits so it would appear that there isn't any shortage of software.

Can anyone recommend the best software to rip DVDs to hard disk? And also which formats preserve the best quality?

Right now BluRay and HD-DVD are out of scope. The OS will be Vista Home Premium.

Your thoughts and input is appreciated.

2. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Try DVD shrink or DVD Decrypter (if you can find it). both of these have the option to change the amount of compression. You can rip the disk to a single VOB (MPEG with meta data) or create an ISO image.

If you have the VOB you can then create divx/xvid with AutoGK.

3. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks, this is really useful - DVD Shrink works well.

Appreciated.