DVD to HD+ via RGBs or Component?

Steve_B

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

While I await the delivery of my HD+ I'm trying to fathom which cables I need to re-arrange...

I have a Harman DVD-25 which is currently set to Component and Progressive. From what I have read feeding the HD+ from the DVD-25 with interlaced will be best but would it be any better to feed it RGBs rather than component? or would the difference be so slight?

Cheers

A DVD's internal MPEG signal is component interlaced, so I'd have thought outputting component interlaced from the player would give you the least adulterated signal into the processor. (Plus you have the component cables and won't have to fiddle around with SCART-to-RGBs cables!)

How do you intend to connect the HD+ to your display?

I was recommended by hornydragon that DVI (to hdmi) into the XDE media box would be best.

With the media box being a funny old beast, making up a component cable isn't much work if it causes any issues...

I'd go with component. If you get the hankering to try RGBs theres a £6 widget that Keene does that'll convert your component cable to a scart/RGBs lead (although you have to add another phono cable for sync).

Its all really a matter of which unit does the necessary transcoding best - DVD, scaler or display. Staying with component allows the scaler to do it.

binbag said:
...Its all really a matter of which unit does the necessary transcoding best - DVD, scaler or display. Staying with component allows the scaler to do it.

My understanding was the HD+ would take an analogue input inc component, process it, then have the ability to transcode and stuff the resultant image out of DVI????

HD+ arrived this afternoon! :D

Using:

RGBS from Sky\TiVo
Component (interlaced) from DVD

Analogue audio into Input 3 on media box from Sky\TiVo and DVI-HDMI from HD+

Picture is superb, no issues (so far) with LipSync on either Analogue or Digital from DVD via amp :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom