dvd to hard drive type device??

jambomakaveli

i am in the process of packing all my dvds away to create space, and was wondering if there is a way of basically copying them to a device that incorporates a hard drive and allows you to easily hook it up to the tv and basically watch your dvds without the need to have hundreds of them lying around taking up space?

i have sorta stumbled upon the wd tv

is it a simple as.....

put a dvd in the pc, rip it as an iso, put said iso onto hard drive, and then connect hard drive to this wd tv box?

can this be easily transported around the house from one room to another, or once its set up is it gotta sorta be left?

do the films run as they would from a normal dvd? i currently watch dvds on an upscaler, i take it this wont do that?

and lastly, is it possible to have a sorta thumbnail gallery of the box art covers to scroll through when choosing a movie?

if its just for having dvds on it and also for watching netflix, do i need the latest model?

thanks to anyone who can help and sorry for all the questions, lol.

next010

Distinguished Member
put a dvd in the pc, rip it as an iso, put said iso onto hard drive, and then connect hard drive to this wd tv box?
Yes, use AnyDVD or DVDFab to generate ISO.

can this be easily transported around the house from one room to another, or once its set up is it gotta sorta be left?
Video cable and power are all thats needed, you could buy multiple units the WDTV Live and USB storage is very cheap these days. Plus the WDTV can share out the USB drive over the network so you can copy incremental updates direct to the attached USB HDD.

do the films run as they would from a normal dvd? i currently watch dvds on an upscaler, i take it this wont do that?
Run as they would on any DVD player, has it's own internal upscaling so wont work directly with upscalers no source direct option, it's extremely rare to have such a feature.

and lastly, is it possible to have a sorta thumbnail gallery of the box art covers to scroll through when choosing a movie?
Yes the WDTV has one built in.

if its just for having dvds on it and also for watching netflix, do i need the latest model?
The latest model to give it it's full name is the WDTV Live SMP and that supports Netflix too.

jambomakaveli

next010 said:
Yes, use AnyDVD or DVDFab to generate ISO.

Video cable and power are all thats needed, you could buy multiple units the WDTV Live and USB storage is very cheap these days. Plus the WDTV can share out the USB drive over the network so you can copy incremental updates direct to the attached USB HDD.

Run as they would on any DVD player, has it's own internal upscaling so wont work directly with upscalers no source direct option, it's extremely rare to have such a feature.

Yes the WDTV has one built in.

The latest model to give it it's full name is the WDTV Live SMP and that supports Netflix too.
Wow, thanx for taking the time to answer all those!

It would seem this is exactly what I'm after, I can rip the 200 odd DVDs I have and then stick them away in a box in the garage, and then as I buy any new ones I can rip them and store them away.

Basically like having a DVD collection without worrying about the space hundreds of DVDs take up, and throw in the added benefit of netflix, sorted!

Thanx again.

One last question, is it only the latest model that has netflix access?

awink1

Distinguished Member
Yes, only the WDTV Live SMP can do Netflix from the WD series so far. The new WDTV Play also can, but that's not released in the UK yet and it seems it can't handle Mpeg1 and Mpeg2 files per design.

mentm

I agree with everything said but if you are only worried about space, I placed my old DVDs in a flight case (630 discs). I have ripped some but this can be quite time consuming. Also storing as iso will be up to 9gb each, do you really need the extra features and menus?

jambomakaveli

mentm said:
I agree with everything said but if you are only worried about space, I placed my old DVDs in a flight case (630 discs). I have ripped some but this can be quite time consuming. Also storing as iso will be up to 9gb each, do you really need the extra features and menus?
Don't need the extra features at all, don't really bother with them, it would only be the films I would want.

After having a trial with netflix, I'm not too bothered about it having anything like netflix and youtube......so in a nutshell.......

I want a device that will let me hook up a large hard drive to it (4TB+) and store my movies, and allow me to have thumbnails of all my films in alphabetical order.

That's it, nothing fancy, i.e latest model, bells n whistles, just catalogue my DVDs and watch them!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom