1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD To DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zach54, Jan 10, 2004.

1. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I was trying to back up my DVD movie Donnie Darko onto a blank DVD-R Disc.Unfortunately once I hooked up my old Cyberhome DVD player to the Panasonic E60 machine with [removed]I had a ton of interference :confused: Any idea's as to what could be causing this? I checked all the connections and everything seems fine.
    I might of guessed that it could be something to do with macrovision but the interference was there even before I started playing the movie :thumbsdow
    I look forward to any suggestions.....Thanks!
    Jw

2. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably the macrovision,

you need a scart lead with a missing pin to copy most dvd's

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it a R1 copy?

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,238
    Which pin is that from the recoder and player side???

5. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not sure

ill look it up later

try doing a search on google, should be promising

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard the "pin" theory before.
    .If its R1 copy then you will have to adjust the output of the Cyberhome to pure NTSC,not PAL 50 or 60.ITs quite possible as a budget player that pure NTSC may not be available.The input on your recorder is (hopefully) set to RGB.The Panny will not accept RGB on any NTSC signal,it changes it to s-video,so if you have no s-video output on the Cyberhome you will have to use the inferior @Video' setting on the Panny.

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    is this not piracy? I'm sorry but I can understand backing up to your hard drive so you have a miltiplex in a box, but to DVD-R *usually* means you want to sell the copy.

unless of course you have young 'uns who want to put jam all over your discs - but they shouldn't have access to this kind of film anyway so why should you want to protect it?

the replacement cost (should the disc go sour) is quite low anyway (circa £6)

8. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm Im not selling copies! The E60 is brand new and Im just testing out what it will do.Donnie Darko is a R1 Disc and I thought it would be interesting to see if it was easy to back up a R1 Disc onto a blank PAL DVD-R Disc so that my friends would be able to play it.
    Thank you guys for the suggestions and help.I have a ton of VHS to back up over the next few months!! But Im enjoying playing with my new toy.....

Cheers guys

9. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    making copys for maybe the other room is cool,

if you carnt do this can i ask whats the point of buying a dvd-recorder?

10. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    check out this for info

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need to set the e60 to NTSC not pal

you pay also need to do this on your dvd player

12. zach54

zach54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BigRd and bobbles!
    I will try again with those pesky Region 1 Discs tomorrow.Today I had recorded something and when I went to Finalize it the Panasonic went into Finalize mode for two minutes..then stopped and gave me the message "Cant complete finalization" lol I would like to have tried it again but the "Finalize" button on the menu is not available with this Disc now! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! I still love the machine though lol

13. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im glad i went for sky plus,

i feel there are so many probs with the dvd-r's

14. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ?

I don't think sky+ can be seen as alternative to -r. Sky+ is for timeshifting -r is for archiving

I love my sky+ to bits but I have had a couple of coasters but quite a few failed recordings on sky+ especially since the DR update.

If i get a -r problem,so what I whack in another. Sky+ failed recordings are far more annoying especially if you are recording to archive

15. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i suppose, from a kids point of view, im gonna wait untilll dvd-r's get better ie digital tunner,

just i carnt afford to buy new kit every year

16. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I copied Spiderman no probs but tried to copy Blue Crush the same way but the recorder said no input. Is this the pin syndrome or a sophistiacted version of Macrovision. I know pin 8 in a scart lead is the one which switches the tv over to video/dvd when they are activated so I wonder if pin 8 is the culprit. It doesn't matter which end of the cable you disable the pin on as pins on a scart lead are wired 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc..

17. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find this "pin" theory is just that-theory.However,I'm all for someone coming back with way for it to work.
    To get round Macro and CGMS needs a modified lead(and not just a missing pin) or player.