1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to AV Amp ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by access, Aug 16, 2005.

1. access

access

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Teac AG-7D 6.1 AV amp and I want to connect a Yamakawa DVR-625 DVD recorder to it, What is the best way to connect the audio?
    My DVD output options are
    a) 5.1 RCA
    b) Digital Coaxial
    c) Digital Optical
    What is the best connection to use?

access

2. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The decision between 5.1 and digital should be made by whether you think the DACs are likely to be better in your receiver or DVD. I don't know each product so I can't guess. If you think the DVD has better DACs, use 5.1. If you think the receiver does, use digital. If you can't tell, try both. I would tend to default to digital with low-end equipment, but I'm not sure I can say why

These days there shouldn't be any difference between coax and optical, particularly for short distances (a few feet). In the early days, optical cables tended to have low bandwidth, and could cause problems.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As Hedrick says - it depends on which has the better decoders built in on whether you use the RCA or one of the digital connections. As a rule of thumb, unless the DVD player is several levels above your AVR or your AVR is ancient and your DVD new then the AVR decoders would tend to be better.

There is little difference in coax or optical - traditionally coax was considered best for short runs (under 2 meters) and optical better for long runs but generally it is just a matter of convenience these days

4. access

access

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    the amp has the best sound processor so that makes it digital.

access