1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to Amp connections

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pauli, Apr 21, 2004.

1. pauli

pauli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am looking for advice on connecting a DVD player (not yet purchased) to an AV amp (Denon 3802).

I see there are many options such as optical, 2x analogue (phonos), 5.1 analogue (6 phonos), composite video. What offers the best picture and sound quality?

The main reason I am asking this is that I want to purchase a DVD player that will give a good picture/sound quality. Some DVD players (Pioneer 565a) contain a decoder and so can connect using the 5.1 analogue phono signals. Is this then better than using say a digital connection from a DVD player that doesn't have the 5.1 phonos (Toshiba 330E)?

Hope this makes some sort of sense.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi pauli and welcome to the forum!

Right, the 3802 has many inputs that you could use. Some are sound only and some are picture only. Do you want to put the picture through your 3802? It is a general rule that if you don't need the amp to do video switching between several sources then you are better connecting for picture directly to the TV. This also cuts down on cost as you need less leads. Also most TV's cannot accept a component connection, only RGB (best), S-Video and composite (to be avoided). The 3802 can not connect useing RGB, so you will be stuck useing the lower quality S-Video (or composite if you must).
    So the best sound connection is either optical or coax (there is very little, if any difference in quality between the 2). The 5.1 analogue connections are only really used for SACD/DVD-A as these are not decoded by the 3803. The 2 phono connections will only give you stereo sound, not 5.1 surround.
    DVD player onboard DD/DTS decoding is generally considered to be of a lower quality than that of most AV receivers.

Mark.

3. pauli

pauli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very comprehensive answer thankyou. How much need is there for SACD/DVD-A? If there's not much requirement for it, then I may as well go for the DVD player that doesn't have the 5.1 analogue connections.

Kind Regards,

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    DVD-A & SACD are multi channel high resolution music disks.
    If you don't listen to much music or only listen to it on another system then you can do without it. To play DVD-A or SACD you need a player that is specifically listed as being compatable as it needs additional decoding to be able to play these disks.
    If in doubt then you can always play a DD or DTS mix of any DVD-A disk via the optical or coax connection. If you do decide that you like it then it can be another future upgrade.

Mark.

5. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi mate,

just read the thread i looking for advice.
    regarding connection between dvd player toshiba sd 42 hk built in dobly/dts decoder with no coaxil/optical output , want to connect to pionner vsx d-192.
    only 2 options
    1. through 2 phono as analogue
    2. multi channel connection 6 channel, again could be analogue

would these 2 connections be a lot difference in term of surround sound.
    or i be better of buying a new dvd player with digital output.

cheers,

bigscreen

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to the review that I have read of the Toshiba SD-42HK here it does have an optical output connector.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    This option will only give you stereo sound, not surround sound.

Yes this is still an analogue connection, but it will give you the option of 5.1 surround sound as long as you have the 5.1 analogue inputs on your AV receiver.

Mark.

8. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi ian,

the page u refered to toshiba sd 42 hk did mentioned of optical output but mine definitely has not. u can check on toshiba uk site.

reviewer sometime make bias and mistake.

9. bigscreencrazy

bigscreencrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi mark and ian,

again sorry to bother u , if for option 2 with multi channel connection, where can i get the cable or can i use speaker cable instead.

cheers,

blg screen

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
  11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that Mark's suggestion is probably overkill. The cables that he is referring to are top quality but with respect I think are too expensive for your Tosh.

Three pairs of cheap phono to phono cables will suffice and something like Profigold would be more than adequate. It does seem a little odd though that you wish to take analogue outputs into a digital amp.

I wonder if it may be a suitable time to pension off the Tosh and buy a replacement DVD player which can be connected directly and simply to your Pioneer. I assume that it is the VSX-D912 that you are using