1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Time Remaining After Editing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fhs45, Feb 5, 2005.

1. fhs45

fhs45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First time poster...glad to be here.

I need some help. I've tried a lot of sources with no luck, so I'm hoping for some help here. I own a LiteOn DVD Recorder, model LVW-5101. I'm very confused about the editing process, probably because I have very little experience with DVD recorders.

Let's say I'm recording a basketball game. I'm using DVD+RW discs and I'm recording on EP (4 hour speed). I'm not home to stop the recording at the end of the game. The game ends after 2 hours and five minutes, but I don't shut off the recording until after 3 hours and 15 minutes. I go and delete the hour and 10 minutes of video after the game, thinking that that should leave me one hour and 55 minutes of recording time to put new material on the disc. When I check how much recordable time is left, the disc shows that I only have 45 minutes, like I never erased the video I didn't need.

I feel like I'm wasting disc space because I should have four hours to record, but I fall short every time. On this disc, I would only have two hours and 50 minutes of video and then it "tells" me that the disc is full.

Please help me. I'm really new at this, but I have almost 20 years of sports videos that I'm transferring to DVD.

Thanks!

Todd

2. jpurkey

jpurkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that is how DVD+RW works. That is, you don't receover the time until you delete the title. Does the recorder support DVD-RAM? That is what I use for time-shifting (not that I have a choice since the Panasonic recorder doesn't support RW.) Anytime I delete a section, even in the middle of a title, the time is recoverd. It is quite useful since just trimming the extra time off the start and end of a recording can give that extra few minutes needed for recording something else.