Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD through VGA card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paiger, Jun 9, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been assuming that if I get a bog standard DVD drive and a good VGA card with Svideo and maybe DVI out that I can watch DVD's on my telly or projector with no problems.

Reading all this stuff about descalers etc. etc. has me wondering whether it's a bigger deal than that.

So can I just hook this up and go or do I need special software etc? How about region coding?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can use your computer with a decent VGA card (Radeons are v. popular for hcpcs) to feed DVD to your projector - super quality, but I wouldn't bother doing to feed your TV, poor results, you'd be better using a regular dvd player for that, imo. The PC output resuloution can be set to match the resolution of the panels of your projector perfectly using a program called Powerstrip (do a search on the forum and you'll unearth any amount of detail on that).

Dscaler is a program that is used with a capture card to deinterlace an incoming video stream, like from video or a DVD player, SKY box, PS2, whatever. If you're just interested in playing DVD through your projector then you don't need to bother with Dscaler. The only other software you need for playing DVDs is a software player, Powerdvd is bundled with a few Radeon VGA cards, or you can get Windvd or any of the others...

Hope this goes someway to answering your question, its a bump anyway...

Sean G.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sean, that helps.

To be honest, I'll probably be using the PJ with the PC rather than the TV. I have a Sony 24" WS with Sky and VCR in the office for general TV watching but I'm getting a PJ and a fold up screen for movies and gaming (big office). Probably, most of the time I will play games on my cheapo 18" TFT Monitor so I guess it's mainly DVD's. I could always get a cheapo DVD player for the TV as it's in the corner and not connected to the 5.1 system.

I assume that I would use the Svideo out of the VGA card to the PJ, or would I be better off with a card with dual SVGA outputs so I could use VGA?

4. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use the VGA output to your PJ (its progressive scan rather than interlaced) and is much better quality.

Seans point about Powerstrip is that it lets you set the windows display resolution to be the same as the physical resolution of your PJ even if its not a standard windows res. PJs arent very good at rescaling the input to fit the physical resolution so giving it the right resolution avoids this problem and again gives a much better image.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, so it would be best to get a card with dual VGA outs?

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Caveat,

Or you could use a vga y-lead, and feed your projector and you monitor from one vga port.

This is the method i'm using, and it's great so far........ exellent picture quality from my htpc.

Cheers

Cosmic023

7. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dual vga out apparently works very well - you set the overlay full screen to the pj output and all the controls are on your normal monitor. Choose carefully and you can run the two "screens" at different resolutions.
    Cosmics idea sounds neat and easily implemented too.
    My htpc doesnt have to do any general PC stuff, just audio/video of various sorts, so I dont actually have any monitor other than the PJ connected.
    It sounds extravagant, but specifying carefully (not getting obsessed with speed you wont use) you can make a dedicated machine for about £300-400 (not bad considering it replaces a dvd and scaler).
    Mine is controlled by: a remote control, a wireless kb/mouse, and VNC to control it from a networked PC - only needed occaisional configuring etc.
    I also have a web server running on it to allow MP3 playback from a browser interface.

Be warned, htpc's are a very slippery slope into pale skinned nerdism :smashin: