1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD surround out...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Simon James, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick one before I finally decide on the player...
    Is it better to have seperate outs from the DVD for the surround speakers or is the quality the same from one digital audio link?
    The Denon I am looking at does not have seperate outs, yet my 3 year old Sony does.....

Thanks.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    simon, it depends on what amp you are using.

If you use the digital out from the DVD player then the sound goes as a bitstream and the decoder in the amp will decode the seperate channels and amplify them before putting it out to the speakers

If you use the analogue connections then the DVD players built in decoder will seperate the channels and pass them to the amp which will simply amplify and output it to the speakers.

The one exception to this is SACD/DVD-Audio which cannot be passed digitally (other than firewire) and so has to be connected with the analogue leads.

In 99% of cases the decoder build into the DVD player will not be as good as the decoder in the AVR (unless you have spent £2000 on a DVD player and £50 on the amp) and so it is both better and more convenient to use the digital connection

3. Simon James

Simon James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
    Was thinking of the AVR-2805 or Yamaha 750SE. Will go digital out now & won't worry if the DVD does not have seperate outs.
    Appreciate the advice.