1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Dvd Stutter On Shuttle Pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dazzer123, Mar 1, 2005.

1. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am now beginning to tear out my hair with the DVD stutter on my shuttle pc before I go any further here is my spec

Epox EX5 Mini Me Case With Nforce 2 Chipset
    512mb Geil value Pc3200
    Maxtor diamond max 200 GB
    Pioneer dvr 109
    Asus Geforce Fx5200
    Amd Barton 3200 (2.2 GHz)
    Windows XP Media Center Edition

Dma is enabled for DVD drive and hard disk but when running theatertek 2.1 with ffdshow currently SSE version my CPU usage is maxed out to 100% and I get truly awful stutter should my CPU be maxed out? Settings in ffdsow are lanczos 4 1280x720 blur & nr gradual denoise 40 and that is about it.

If I disable ffdshow and just use theatertek my cpu usage reduces to about 25% and playback is better all be it with a much softer picture :thumbsdow but still every 10 mins or so I will get some bad stutter and I mean as though a DVD drive was struggling to read a disc although my movies are on the hd. I always make sure my hd is defragged so that is not an issue the stutter problem is not confined to theatertek it also happens if I play movies with in media center.

I have a minimal amount of programs running on the pc so as to cut down on background activity although I do have MacAfee virus center installed about the only thing I have not tried that I can think of is dloading and running Maxtor’s drive fitness utility but for this you need a floppy disk drive which my shuttle does not have can anybody suggest anything :lease:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    I have a very similar spec machine to yours and had exactly the same problem. Bottom line, the machine isn't fast enough :( You can still get most of the effects but have to lower the settings, its the aspect ratio one if I remember correctly that uses all the CPU power, make it smaller.

lisa

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have u tried Windvd6 or PowerDVD6 both give very good DVD playback with low cpu usage.
    I tried Theatre tek with ffdshow but found it gave a worse picture than the above, i have an Athlon
    3.5gh 64 & a radeon x800pro & i was very limited as to what settings i could apply without everything slowing to a crawl

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    wow your processor is even more powerfull than mine and you get stutter as well. my spec in sig and im getting repeatedly frustrated when i see people with simlar spec if not lower specs getting stutterless DVD playback. mine can be terrible sometimes and i cant use all the nice features of FFDShow.

also dont worry about background prog's. i have a dedicated win XP OS just running TT and FFDShow and i get the stutter. abit peeved at it all at the moment. ive clocked 26hrs on my PJ and watched 2 yes 2 films.

5. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the simplest program to use but i've had computers since 1981 so i'm not a complete beginner it's possible that with the right settings it might be worthwhile , i checked the posts & used the settings people were recomending but it did'nt work for me.
    Worse thing was when i deleted theatre tek & ffdshow they removed a bit to many codecs & i was left with a worse picture than before i tried deleting & reinstalling windvd6 & powerdvd6 but it did'nt help
    i cured it a couple of weeks later by playing a DVD through Windows Media Player 10 it restored the missing pieces & now with winDVD6 or powerDVD6 using a DVI input on my OptomaRD50 DVD playback is stunning.
    I allway's wondered what that bag of sh t windows media player was for now i know :devil:

imo life's to short to struggle with theatretek & ffdshow when the alternatives are so good

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use TT, so it might not work, but most DVD playback stuttering is cured by using ReClock as default renderer. It will match your refresh rate to the frame speed and/or offer suggestions to alter the set up.

I find the best setup for HDD playback to be Media Player Classic (free), just with Universal Open Source MPEG Splitter (free); DScaler5 MPEG2 Decoder (free); AC3 Filter (SPDIF passthrough) (free) and ReClock (free). Subtitles don't work with DScaler5 (hopefully, that's a 'yet') so I use the MPC internal MPEG2 decoder if I need them.

Take a look over on the Doom9 forum for all things DVD and how to do them:-

http://www.doom9.org/

7. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have installed reclock but dont know how to use it any pointers.

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once installed, you just need to 'Configure ReClock' (from Start -> Program Files -> ReClock -> Configure ReClock) and set the preferences. "Set as default renderer" is checked by default. It should then leap into action as and when required after installation. It will put an icon, which will be either green, yellow or red, in the system tray when it is functioning.

Never having used TT, I can't say for sure, but I would imagine TT's preferences/settings/options configuration would allow you to set ReClock as default renderer there, too.

If it's not working you'll have to ask a TT user what to do................

9. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi well i tried reclock and this totaly stopped mce 2005 from working and when theatertek or powerdvd was in use reclock would say that it could not correct the signal or something along those lines.

I decided that maybe my shuttle did not have enough power to run ffdshow and decided i could have waisted the best part of £600 on a pc that cant play a dvd even with out ffdshow i get bad stutter.

I then hooked up another pc slightly lesser spec than my shuttle amd xp2600 opposed to a barton 3200 shuttle and things ran smoother even with ffdshow running i had a little stutter but it would recover where as the shuttle would freeze and with out ffd show dvd playback was glitch free. I now wonder wether this could be a heat issue as when the shuttle is powered on the cpu runs between 57 and 63 with a system temp of around 68 to 70 degrees c and am cosidering a bigger case to reduce the temp.

Also what i wish to know if i get a bigger case and dump the barton for a P4 3.0ghz cpu socket 478 will i see a noticeable difference in cpu usage when using ffdshow as with the barton using lanczos 4 and a resize of 1280x720 my cpu usage is between 85 and 95% which is of some concern what could i expect it to be with a 3 gig socket 478 prescott p4 .

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Reclock needs the graphics card to be set to approx. the right refresh, 50Hz for PAL and 60Hz for NTSC, it makes fine adjustments from there.

My 3.0 P4 Northwood (with HT disabled) uses c. 60% for Lanczos 2 (that's all you need) to 1920x1080 and 1.5 Luma Sharpen.

11. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That sound s pretty impressive no way could i do 1920x1080 so maybe a p4 would be a good bet maybe i could stretch to a 3.2 why do you have ht disabled? my problem with reclock and mce was that with reclock installed mce would not even open never mind play a dvd.

12. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I found that trying different versions of ffdshow made a huge difference to cpu usage, maybe this could be your problem?
    If you need to know which version works best on my setup I can find out for you.

I have an athlon xp 3200, nforce 2 mobo, gf4420mx 64mb and 512mb ram in my shuttle sn45.
    I currently have resize set to 1280x720 (please advise if this is correct as this is my pj's native resolution) and have blur and NR enabled and my cpu usage is about 65-70%

13. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As for reducing background programs you could try 'xplite' to remove unwanted windows components.
    Turning off system restore can help reduce cpu load as well, but would mean you wouldn't have that as a backup in case something goes wrong.
    You could also try disabling unused services using 'administrative tools'

14. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't use MCE, do you have some other player that you can use to run Reclock simply to calibrate your video card using Powerstrip?

15. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes i have theatertek and powerdvd 6 installed but we seem yo have a misunderstanding here (My fault) whilst i do suffer with stutter on panning scenes and i would like to fix this my main problem is more like lock ups or very bad jerks in play back sometimes playback will recover other times it will not either way movies are totally unwatchable and as i say i even get it when not running ffdshow not as bad but i do still get it.

I have tried different versions of ffdshow and have now settled on the sse version which has my cpu around 90% with nr & Blur and 1280x720 Lanczos 4
    i am seriously considering a 3.0ghz p4 and a intel 865 chipset motherboard and see if this could stabilize my system.

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I was only addressing the problem of stuttering pans with that suggestions. Your more serious problems with mvie playback stalling aren't something I've seen except on a system grossly overloaded, clearly yours isn't, but then since I don't run MCE that may be the reason.

The SSE version is I think the best for an XP+ machine .. I have a 3.0 P4 on an ASUS P4C800E board, which is pretty popular for HTPCs it seems.

17. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think i may have found a demon contributing to my problem a Via OHCI compliant 1394 bus controller using irq 19 the same irq as my graphics card i have now disabled the 1394 controller and intend to test dvd playback a little more but i hope this could be the culprit.

18. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IRQ conflicts per se aren't a problem, they only become so if both devices become active at the same time, but it's sometimes impossible to be absolutely sure when a device is active. Let's hope this is the source of your problem, because it's certainly baffling.

19. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi again now i am upset i went out and purchased an intel p4 3.0ghz and an Asus p4p800-x socket 478 mainboard put it together got everything running and guess what dvd lockups all over the place whether i use theatertek powerdvd or windows mce with or without ffdshow this is getting ridiculous.

Whilst i am happy with the increase in cpu power ffdshow 1920x1080 and according to taskmanager i only have 49% cpu usage which really is superb i still have lock ups and freezes it really is bad now, what i have noticed if i set audio to 2 channel everything seems fine, as soon as i set audio to use spdif and provide me with 5.1 from the onboard soundmax digital audio that seems to be where my problems start, any ideas would it be worth me getting a separate digital soundcard although i don't want to spend a fortune i have tried updating drivers and so on can anyone help with this.

20. compo

compo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds to me like your system has on board graphics try to change the on board ones for a cheap graphics card

21. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope mate no onboard graphics perish the thought but i am using the onboard 5.1 audio and was wondering if this could be the problem every time i enable 5.1 audio the problems begin.

22. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    have you tried updating the drivers for the video and soundcard?
    i had a problem that if i used analogue line out the dvd playback was fine,use spdf digital out picture paused,froze etc. updating drivers cured all problems.

23. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi thx for your input i am running latest drivers for the onboard audio as provided by Asus but not video card will have to look into this it does seem though that a lot of people are having problems with spdif on mainboards could do with knowing if a seprate sound card may cure my problem i have good dvd playback now just no 5.1 defeats the object some what need to get this sorted.

24. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well this is the state of play now i have purchased a cheap gainward 7.1 sound card and am using the spdif out on this card instead of the onboard spdif. I can now watch a movie in theatertek resize 1280x720 Lanczos 2 luma 1.50 and denoise 3d all with glorious 5.1 dolby digital, now this is all fine but if i resize to 1920x1080 i start locking up again unless i select 2 channel sound output and i have plenty of cpu power to spare, with ffdshow running at 1920x1080 my cpu usage does not go above 50% so i can not understand why i am having these problems caused by using 5.1 out via spdif.

Have tried installing reclock 1.4 but whenever i play a dvd no matter with what software player reclock does not fire in and also when reclock is installed i have all sorts of problems with media center not working can anyone help me with this strange problem it is sort of working but not as stable as it should be in my opinion would an earlier version of reclock help.

P4 3.0Ghz
    Asus P4P800-X
    Gainward 7.1 Soundcard (Spdif out)
    512Mb Geil Pc3200 ddr
    Asus Geforce fx5200 Graphics

Help :lease:

25. dazz111

dazz111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have ac3 filter installed? I had a similar problem on my shuttle but seems fine now with ac3 filter installed.

26. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No i dont could you tell me more about the ac3 filter

27. dazz111

dazz111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: