1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd = stretch

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gbmitie, Jan 31, 2003.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Is it possible to buy a widescreen TV that will "STRETCH" a DVD picture so that it will fill the screen without TO MUCH loss of detail?

gb--

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba DVD players have a "zoom" function which enlarges (zooms you in to) the picture without distorting it - with a range of zoom options.

3. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks Alan, but does that mean I have to buy a DVD player and a TV?? I have a TECHNICS mini system(TRI WIRED!!) that is quite knew, plays 5 dvd'etc. My mate keeps banging on about TV's that stretch the picture but I am in IRELAND for a while, he is in UK, and no sign of these TV's here.

gb--

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All widescreen TVs have some sort of "stretch" or "zoom" functions - some better than others - but they are all (as far as I know) designed to stretch normal 4:3 pictures to fill the screen - NOT to make widescreen (anamorphic) movies (which may have black bars top and bottom) fill the screen.
    So - does your Technics DVD have a zoom option?
    If not, does it have a "letterbox" mode? [in the setup menu]
    - this would put movies on screen in a box - hopefully in the correct aspect ratio, which a widescreen TV would be able to stretch/zoom to fill the screen - although the downside of this is that you will lose some image quality.

5. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The DVD can output in 4:3 OR 16:9 AND WITH MY 29ins Pana TV I can view in 16:9 but of course have black bars at top and bottom. But I know the same applies when using a widescreen so I don't gain a lot by changing TV's hence my query. However that idea with the Tosh DVD player sounds good.

gb--

6. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    imho,
    a decent new wide screen tv will have 3 or 4 aspect ratios not just the 4:3 or 16:9, these will mostly be called and include 14:9, panorama, cinema, smart, zoom, etc. depending on manufacturer.
    and should cover all dvd aspects with varying losses around the edges, especially with the poorly or none converted w/screen cinema aspects on some dvds.