DVD Storage

lazarus

Established Member
Reaction score
I dunno about the rest of you but once i had more than a couple of hundred i started having major problems with storing my collection.

so i started shopping around on the web and eventually found these at www.argos.co.uk - just £11.79 each.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...0001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=93496

i bought nine of them and had them fitted to my wall in a 3 by 3 arrangement (3 up, 3 across). although they are very cheap they do actually look quite smart.

they are simple enough to put together, takes 10-15 mins and you can get about 40 dvd's per shelf

thats 27 shelves with 40 dvd's each - these would support a collection of around 1000 dvd's. i currently have around 650 so i now have plenty of space for my collection to 'grow'.

i'd thoroughly reccommend them to anyone.

I also have an DVD storage solution from Argos. It is on page 292 of their current catalogue(its green on the cover) item number 12, the cat no is 875/7386.

I have 2 of these units for my collection and i must say they are superb value for money, you can get the same sort of thing from Ikea for atleast twice the price but i know what i'd rather do.

Originally posted by iamtheone
the cat no is 875/7386.

This one?

Looks good although it looks like a bunch of CDs in there. Are the shelves moveable in order to accomodate DVDs?

I'm in need of some new shelving as it seems i'm forever moving DVDs around in order to fit more in. I have two black bookcases (old Argos jobs) one of which holds CDs the other DVDs and both are almost full.

thats exactly what i had m8 - some old argos black ash effect bookcases - they were perfect until my collection outgrew them

so ive been looking for looking ages for a decent way of storing them

a proper dedicated storage solution costs a small fortune and all the ones i looked at never held more than 150 or so dvd's

with a collection my size (and growing!) the 3 shelf option i mention above is ideal for me

no other storage solution came close for the price - the 9 shelves cost about £110 including delivery

with space for just over 1000 dvd's

i make that £11 for every 100 dvd's - thats fantastic value for money

So you say each shelf holds around 40 dvds?

Robz - yes the shelves are adjustable so are suitbale for Cd and Dvd. If you use them purely for Dvd's you can get 32 amaray style cases on each shelf, and you can use 5 shelves, they are supplied with 6 shelves if i remember correctly. Just don't get the gray coloured ones, nasty.

I am giving this thread a big ole bump as it is related to what I wanted to ask.

I have two racks that store a total of 100 DVD's- since I own rather more than that, these have come to be known as the "ready use" shelves. Now I (being a man) would like to by more of these racks (£22 from Ocean in Milton Keynes incidentally and very highly recommended) but Mrs Tons (being a lady) is less keen. Do you people try to have all of your collection "out" as it were? Or are you people that stick it all in a cupboard? Better still do any of you have a method of rotation between those discs that are "out" and those that are "in" ?

These days I've given up on having films out on display that make me look less braindead than I probably am so the racks consist of stuff like the Indiana Jones trilogy and Singin' in the Rain rather than Jean de Florette and Last Tango In Paris. All thoughts welcomed.
ToF

MY collection is meagre at the moment, but I would still want them all on show, or at least very easily accessible.

Cheers,

Mark.

I use these for my DVDs, although they are the IKEA ones which are slightly longer. I think they hold about 75ish.

DVD Shelf

I have 4 of them up at the moment, and all on display, however not sure what i'm gonna do when they all fill up, which wont be long with the amount of DVDs i've ordered lately and i've only got half a shelf left!!!

I would like to have them displayed, but my wall space is become increasingly limited!! :(

rob

iamtheone said:
I also have an DVD storage solution from Argos. It is on page 292 of their current catalogue(its green on the cover) item number 12, the cat no is 875/7386.

I have 2 of these units for my collection and i must say they are superb value for money, you can get the same sort of thing from Ikea for atleast twice the price but i know what i'd rather do.

I got them last week and they are great.
dvdrack.jpg

Ideally you need a couple of empty cases at each shelf end, otherwise 2 cases are hidden.

Going back in the thread, a couple of people mentioned the old Black Ash bookcases from Argos. Whatever happened to Black Ash? Why can't you get it any more? I went for the £11.70 Argos job in the end, but it's full already, as well as the aforementioned Black Ask bookcase. :rolleyes:

I had a nice piece of empty wallspace but could find nothing suitable to fill it for holding DVDs. So I built my own. I got Homebase to cut the required lengths of Conti board, and screwed it together to make a nice sturdy four-shelf unit, width 80cm, height 92 cm.

I thought at the time that it would take me at least two years to fill it, but of course that happened within a year. I recently bought very cheap five-shelf and three-shelf units from Homebase. The shelves are just the right height for DVDs and are solid pine, although the five-shelf really needs to be fixed to the wall to be completely sturdy. The two units fit nicely in the space under my stairs, and this time there really should be a couple of years worth of expansion space in them!

So the general consensus is that you want them all out all the time :). A further discussion with Mrs Tons yesterday demonstrated that I don't think I'm going to be allowed more than 100 out at a time so so sort of clever rotation system might be in order.

Tons of fun said:
So the general consensus is that you want them all out all the time :).

Not quite sure if this is just a male thing and we all have to display what we have...so to speak, but yeah. Why have spent all that money on stuff that you really wanted and like and then not show it off to anyone that comes round your house. Of course, you know you have gone too far when you begin to rotate what is on display to match the person who is coming over!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom