1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD soundtrack to Atrac?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shirleywhite, Oct 28, 2005.

1. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all. Just bought the dvd of cream/clapton etc at the albert hall. (Excellent!! ) But would also like to have the soundtrack/music as atrac ( or poss mp3) to listen to on my hd5 ( preferably split into the individual songs/tracks) . Could anyone advise re best way to do this? I guess I could simply record in real time ( line out/headphone plugged into a line in etc ) But I presume there's ways of "ripping" the audio off the dvd? Are we talking something like dvddecrypter? or would something like nero be better? Any advice very appreciated!! Thanks.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The recording in real time might be the best option.

But yes, you could rip the audio off the DVD. I'm not sure of the legality of this, but here goes.

Run DVD Decrypter. Go into the Options and make sure all the File Splitting options are turned off. Rip the DVD.

Run TMPGEnc (search Google). Go to File > MPEG Tools. Choose DeMultiplex. Open the ripped file.

Double-click the audio track and you'll get a save as box on where to save the AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio file to.

Run BeSweet (again, look on Google). Choose the Wizard option. Give it the AC3 file as an input. For output choose WAV/PCM. Go through the wizard and wait, and you'll end up with a standard WAV file.

Now you need to convert the 48khz (DVD) file to 44,100khz (CD) so it'll play back on the HD5 without sounding strange. Run GoldWave (get it on Google). Load the WAV file. Look through the menu and find the "Resample" option. The box will say "48000" in it, change that to say "44100". Click OK. Save the file.

Now you can drop into SonicStage and convert to ATrac.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    One of the easiest solutions for audio extraction is DVD Audio Extractor which will rip your DVDs to a variety of formats with very little fuss. It's not free though but does offer a 30 day trial period.

4. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies Lyris and JohnG. DVD Audio Extractor sounds much easier (!) but I also like playing/tweaking etc so will have a go at your method too Lyris. Thanks again.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Wow, I never knew there was an all in one solution. Thanks for the link!

6. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A man after my own heart! :thumbsup: I just found out about this performance and DVD (somehow I missed it!) and heard a bit, and I want it too! (Getting the DVD, would love to have it on my DAP.)

Actually, I have a lot of music/concert DVDs that I'd like to have in my music collection. I may check out that program, which would be a worthwhile investment.

Would it make sense to extract to WAV and then convert the WAV to Atrac for my HD5?

7. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just been trying DVD Audio Extractor - excellent program!! Ripping straight to mp3 -though there's lots of other options - my only "gotcha" was that the tracks by default were named track1,2 etc - I'm going to rename in Sonic Stage. But I started disc2 not noticing that "overwrite same name" was ticked - so I overwrote the first couple of disc 1 tracks before noticing!!!

8. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two soundtracks on this DVD. PCM 2.0 which is rubbish and DTS which is, ahem, a bl**dy sight better.

BTW, Clapton is still God!

9. jordan2pip

jordan2pip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using this program and it seems to sound as if the music is muffled, especially when the singer is singing. Any ideas?

Thanks,

AS

10. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Only ripped the one dvd so far - my cream/clapton one . The sound is fine on my hd5. One disc I imported straight as mp3's - the second I let convert to atrac3plus = both sound fine to me!! ( using SonicStage 3.3 that is!) Sorry - cant think what would cause "muffle"!!

11. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    ...or the standard methods for audio recording for ripping old lps/tapes/live-dvds-not-available-on-cd etc. A program I have used occasionally is Audacity - excellent and free download. Even records directly from the pc (ie. the dvd you're playing) although it only outputs wav, mp3 and ogg. A bit more work to set volume and trim silence and chop up into tracks etc but it is an option.