1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD sound quality via coax

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GFS AV, Mar 24, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is something that i've been thinking about for a while now.

Is there a big difference in surround sound quality between a budget DVD player and a high-end one?

I have read endless posts on the CD playback of DVD players, but not a great deal on surround sound quality comparisons. For example, there has been a lot said about budget DVD players such as the Tosh 340 and the Pion 575, in terms of picture quality. But not a lot is said about their sound quality with DVDs.

I have tried a fair few budget DVD players which have all been fairly similar to my ears. I have also had a ROKSAN Kandy mkIII, which is known for its great sound quality. Yes, the ROKSAN was excellent with CD playback (for a DVD player), but in terms of surround sound quality, i'd say my current Marantz DV4500 is at least as good as, if not better! Lets not forget the ROKSAN retails at £650! - over 3 times the Marantz.

I am using a Yamaha 640SE amp. Maybe this is the reason I didnt notice a difference with the ROKSAN. Maybe if I had a mid-high end amp, I would notice a difference between the DVD players mentioned.

Can anyone clear this up?

2. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Audiophiles will tell you that there are big differences between 'good' and 'bad' digital connections, mainly AIUI to do with 'jitter' in which data is lost due to the receiver losing data sync with the sender.

Me? My ears have never heard any differences between cheap (£150) and mid-range (£900) players. :)

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can't hear the slightest difference over a digital connection to my receiver.

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not even between say, a Tosh 340 and a high end Arcam? I would have thought there would be differences in sound quality of DVD players. So basically, would you say picture quality is the only thing to look for in a DVD player (perfromance-wise), assuming you have a seperate CD player?

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    I went from a Samsung 709 to a Toshiba 330e and thought the picture quality was greatly improved, as if someone had taken a plastic sheet off the tv! I then went to a Pioneer 575A and the PQ is slightly better than the Tosh but the audio is HUGELY improved! Initially I thought I was going to have to recallibrate the subs as they seemed to be too much! Seperation and clarity is miles better. In fact, matched with my Denon 3805 and Velodyne Deco set I can honestly say I've got a great setup and very happy and very proud of!

7. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys.

Mixed opinions then...

Anyone else like to share their thoughts? Don't forget, i'm talking about surround sound quality, not CD playback.

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No, no difference at all.

Let me be clear. I'm talking about passing a digital signal to the receiver or pre/pro and having it do the decoding for DD and DTS. If you let the DVD player do the decoding things change but that is not the normal setup.

For DVD-A/SACD where a digital connection isn't available, the sound via the multi-channel output will vary.

For those who can hear a difference, if at all possible arrange a blind test to see if it is still the case.

If you thought about recalibrating it sounds like a volume difference, in which case something else is going on.

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see where you're coming from, but if this is the case, surely the same would apply to a stereo setup i.e. Doesnt matter which source you use, as the stereo signal is passed to the amp anyway? Now, we all know there are vast differences between CD players in a stereo system.

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    We do?

It's not the same thing at all anyway, unless you use a digital connection from the CDP to the amp. I do that, but I'm in a tiny minority. Most people use the CDP's DACs.

11. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Not really, the key difference above, is where the digital to analogue conversion takes place.

When feeding a digital signal to an AV amp, the AV amp is always doing the DA conversion, whichever player you use. There may be minor differences in the sound due to deck read errors and correction etc etc.
    In the case of CD players in a stereo system, it's always (nearly) the individual player where this conversion takes place, and with digital audio, the biggest difference in final sound is from this DA conversion (and it's not just the DACs, it's the whole chain)