1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Soon

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by slowen, Jan 16, 2005.

1. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought from DVD soon as I am thinking Saw from them as it is quite cheap but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.

Also are you likely to pay customs duty as they are based in Canada, I know places like play.com in Jersey dont attract customs charges

2. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    noob alert:clap:

dvdsoon are good with preorders (pre-releases). Very good prices. Buy.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You may get charged with customs from dvdsoon. It never used to happen but then they started to print the price of the item on the front of the package.

Don't worry about reliability though, I've ordered (and pre-ordered) many times from DVD Soon without problem. They generally have a good reputation!

4. brian mc

brian mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rumour has it that Saw has been cut for the North American market due to the fact that they wanted a R certificate (more backsides in the cinemas). Might be an idea to wait for the UK version, which has no cuts. Dvd soon are good for the prices (when they are not fluctuating) just as long as you are not in a hurry.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've ordered from dvdsoon almost 30 times in the last 2 years and have never been charged import tax, (touches wood as have RE4 on on the way). Some of these were under the £18 threshold for tax though. They've always printed the value of the goods on the front of the package, just they used to value everything at roughly £5. Thereby falling under the £18 limit, (before you have to pay duty). Nowadays they print the full value. Still, I recently imported Simpsons season 5 dvd boxset that must have been near/over the limit and it got through. I'm hoping RE4 gets through as it's value is nearer £30. They weren't very quick shipping this game, which was pre-ordered 2+ months in advance. It shipped 2/3 days after the release date. Whereas Play.com always ship 3+ days be fore release so that you get it on or before the official release date. Also, delivery is no longer free unless you join a membershjip discount scheme.

A few things about dvdsoon aren't so great. Firstly, they take payment when you preorder, rather than when they ship as every other company does. Secondly, when you cancel an order, you get store credit as they charge you straight away. They do offer an extra packaging option for 50p to have your item boxed. Well worth it for ensuring items arrive in mint condition rather than slightly damaged as can occur with jiffy bags.

All in all though, a great company to use for games and dvds, but perhaps not one to pre-order from. Also try www.dvdboxoffice.com for dvds/games.

6. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info will probably wait for the uncut version as I hate films that have been cut.

Thanks for the comments on DVDsoon will defo think of ordering from them

7. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I bought the young ones box set at $46 (can) about £20.80 from soon. I got stung with £7.54 customs charges.Not happy bunny

8. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yer, the King of the hill season 2 boxset I ordered came out at around £18.50 once currency conversion took place. I will be a bit miffed if I get stung with import charges now.....local post office seem to charge whatever they like.
    Mind you, I did order it on 18th Dec and I have yet to receive it yet, so maybe I never will.

9. POiSON

POiSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My last 3 orders from DVDSOON ......

2 have taken 34/35 days to deliver.
    my last order - rocky box set (which they taken £18.02 for - should be safe on customs as postage costs inc) ordered 22nd December ... not had any further email to say despatched yet.

DVDSOON, great bargins, but maybe they should be called DVDEVENTUALLY

10. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :D
    this is my first ever order with DVD Soon as well. To be honest I think I will go back to Play USA for Region 1.

11. dvdbunny

dvdbunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    playusa? Isn't that a scam? You're likely paying double or more than dvdsoon and a good deal more than most other R1 shops. I don't care when they ship the goods and thus profit from their low prices. If you get a hard on when you get the latest movie delivered the next day than it's wise to stay well clear of dvdsoon since chances that you will get your order than soon are unlikely.

12. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    most things over £17 will get stung with Import Tax mate.

some people get lucky most don't ;)

i am very very lucky and have never paid import tax once :p

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Very true, if you're after something in a hurry then look elsewhere.

14. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Bit extreme that. I'd rather have my DVD within a couple of days than over a month like some people are reporting about Soon.
    Dont know about you mate, but if I go to a new store and they shaft me on my first purchase then I dont go back again, simple as.
    We are hardly talking 100s of pounds difference between R1 prices are we? Double or more is an exaggeration, I suggest you take another look.

15. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    The prices are good but as a lot have stated the delivery times can be crap. I've had Bourne Spremacy on order now for 2 weeks. Film shows as in stock on the main page but my order has gone from In Transit to On Order and back to In Transit again. I'd cancel it but as Rob20 says, they take the money up front and if I cancelled it it would go to 'store' credit.

I only ordered it from there as I was pre-ordering RE4 at the same time. Think I'll be shopping elsewhere in future and pay a bit more. Never had any problems at all with Play.

Horses for Courses I suppose.

16. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have used dvd-soon many times without any problems up to now, having said that my order for celluar has been in packing for 3 days now perhaps they are sending them to fidelity card holders first ?

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Of my 30 or so orders from dvdsoon, only one has taken more than 10 days to arrive from ship date, (figure includes Sat & Sun). The one that did was a boxset I ordered on the 28th Dec 2004. It took 14 days to arrive. Quickest del was 4/5 days from ship date. They can be slow to ship items in the first place though. However, I'd rather save money than have things straight away. Saying that though I wish I'd paid the extra £4/5 and ordered RE4 from VG+. Most people who did have their copy already. Still, I'll still be getting it 2 months before the uk's release.

18. sollas001

sollas001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to use Dvdpacific for Reg 1 cds and dvds. They usually were prompt in shipping, charged relatively little for postage charges. Best ordered in twos to keep postage down. (dvdpricecheck gave a lower postage for some reason). I could check total with shipping once registered and transfer from my wishlist to give close to £18 (total helpfully can be changed to £).

Being in Florida, they must put items on the first Clyde banana boat across the Atlantic and straight into my hands, or the neighbours if they're on the brave pills. I have these blackouts. your Lordship, I come to and I'm standing there with my Japanese sword in one hand, my claymore in the other and wrapping paper and Raj Jimmy from upstairs lying there, clutching some Region 1 NTSC imported shiny things. Dismissed? Thank you for your understanding.

Prices usually lower than dvdsoon. Delivery was within 2 weeks or so - very reliable until my postal delivery losers - I mean delivery officers - the packages disappeared of their own accord into thin air - got kissed off with my regular packages and started leaving them on my doorstep. Rastards!

I haven't ordered for some months - there was a lot of talk on the forums about credit card being compromised (ripped off, to you and me) by users of dvdpac, ebay & some other sites - seems the common source was dvdpac. They did email me to say they had had attacks on their servers. Meanwhile, some gambling website charged me for £200 or so at that time. I got this refunded, but it was worrying at the time - and a hassle - new card, new passwords, rethinking of sources of movies.

A new security certificate on dvdpac later, maybe it's time to try them out again. Any security issues for dvdpac users within the last six months or so? :lease:

19. POiSON

POiSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yep - i agree, about 10 days from shipping date.
    The problem is - the 25 days from order date to shipping date

20. POiSON

POiSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just checked up on my DVDSOON order

Order Date - Status
    Dec. 20, 2004 - Packaging

Never again!

21. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My order finally arrived today. Ordered 18th December, thankfully no customs charges.
    I thought thats why it was taking so long because customs had their greasy mits on it.
    Anyway, to be fair on DVD Soon they have issued a statement explaining why deliveries are taking so long at the moment.
    I might wait a couple of months and then give them another shot before I decide whether to deal with them again.

22. ronin13

ronin13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    62 days and waiting

I ordered American Choppers Boxset mid November 2004 and it has re-mained in the 'stock on order' staus ever since. Even though it was in stock when I ordered. Perhaps they had a big run as soon as I placed my order and they are still trying to fill the backlog (ahem...NOT). It must be really difficult to source a high profile DVD, TV series from the most commercially rich country who just happens to be your next door neighbour. This crap really wouldn't happen if those retards didn't take your money as soon as you placed your order. Then their might be a bit more of an incentive for this company to do their job and provide me with the goods I have ordered and paid for.

23. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Just about EVERYBODY knows about dvd slow so if you need a movie pronto order elseware if your not in a hurry and dont mind waiting order from soon as there prices are hard to beat.Ive ordered loads of discs from soon and all have arrived sooner or later non have ever gone missing.
    Cheers Gonzo.

24. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi having only recently started using dvdsoon, since about beginning of november, 1 turned up after 6 days, 1 turned up after being shipped on 17th nov 04 arrived around 18th december, my other dvd was in packaging for 3 weeks, and finally phew 1 shipped on 16th december 04 still has not turned up.
    But as everyone points out they are cheap.
    But not so good customer service side very poor :suicide:

25. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi
    I think DVDSoon is suffering from there own success,

26. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    From now on I'm gonna use www.videogameplus.co.uk for importing games. They may be £4/5 more expensive, but people have had their copies of RE4 for almsot a week having ordered from them. When you want a game as urgently as I want RE4 now, whats £5 anyway?

27. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :nono: I'll have 1 if they're going free :smoke:

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    :offtopic: Any idea what have the reviews been like for RE4?

29. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I ordered Reservoir Dogs from DVDSoon at the start of September, when I emailed them out of curiosity to see if I was likely to receive it I got an automated reply telling me it had been discontinued, I received no credit for the order when I checked my account - when I emailed them again to point this out I just received the same automated response about the disc being discontinued, no mention of being credited, no apology, no nothing..

Which means for me ...NO DVDSOON..

I'll keep emailing them until I get some form of satisfaction (hopefully a non automated reply) but at present I have to award them 0/10 for customer service and will not use them again.. (the other 2 dvds that I ordered at the same time finally arrived in end of October/end of November! This is just poor..)