1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd snob ???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by pinky3003, Dec 15, 2003.

1. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi chaps....after months of playing with the idea of home cinema and endless hours on this site, I did take the plunge and invested in a panny 6.1 av amp and mission speakers to go with panny dvd player.....after watching and listening to a few cool dvd's such as Fifth element (superbit), Gladiator (superbit), Behind enemy lines....I must admit im a snob with regards to "if it aint got DTS- I dont want it"......i doubt if im on my own with these thoughts ????.....next big step....projector and screen.....and dont you wish you had more friends who realised what the are listening to....as opposed to saying "its a bit loud"

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yet another person denying himself the majority because he actually believes what he reads...:rolleyes:

Have a read through this thread and take time out to read the attachments. I think you'll be pleasantly supprised...or not, if you insist on only buying discs with dts sound - which dosen't mean you are a snob - you're just naive...;)

The attachment you need to read is this one. I attached it seperatly in case yo miss it in the thread. I did the first time. But please take time out to read the rest of the thread - it's one of the best I've read in 3 years on these forums...:)

3. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi

When DTS first came out it was recorded at twice the bit rate, than it is today, so the difference is minimal now, I think there are still some DTS tracks recorded in full bit rate,
    Believe that I have read a review that stated the new region 2 of Fifth element, is done in DTS full bit rate, but he also said that the picture was not up to the Supper bit version

here is the link

steve

4. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    army and steve...this is not another dts is the be all and end all thread....but it is a thread with me planning to buy the best media avaliable to complement the investment i have made...and if that means paying £30+ for classic dvd that i will watch over and over then i am glad to.....take to day for instance...my sister asked me what i want for xmas...after explaining that she cant geet what i want in the shops...she gave me £60, which will go to Heat (dts) and Ronin (dts)......let me repeat "its not a dts v dd" thread....but getting value for money with the pleasure ill get from having the best dvd's

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's your choice mate. But I paid a fiver for Heat second hand from the DVD classifieds - and it's in the right aspect ratio...(just in case that went over your head mate, the Ronin disc you refer to is a 2 disc set - one disc in Dolby Digital and one in dts. The Dolby disc is in the correct aspect ratio of 2.35.1, whilst the dts version is in 1.85.1 - and it's NOT a full bit rate dts track so the chances of noticing any difference are minimal...the movie was released in 2.35.1 in theatre's...)

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Well there's a contradiction if ever I read one....:rolleyes:

Why don't you LISTEN to a few Dolby Digital soundtracks?

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    When will people realise that a HIGHER bitrate doesn't necessarily mean it's BETTER:rolleyes:

Full-rate DTS means nothing imho, some of the best DTS tracks are half rate DTS.

8. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok...it seems its turning ugly......im not putting a down on dd.....i have well over 100 dvd's.....but now i have a half decent system i want to use it to its full potential......and army...im 43 not 12...i undestand about aspect ratio....which could lead on to another point.....do you suffer aspect ratio for better sound ???

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll watch it as the director intended me to watch it - which in the case of Heat, is in an aspect ratio of 2.35.1.

And nobody's that old...:p

10. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    So what you're saying is that now you've got an OK system you want the best media available! Which, in your minds eye, must be DTS!

I'm sorry to say this but you are wrong!

The DD version of Heat is bloody amazing and is cheap, so is Ronin!

Listen and then judge, and do it before you waste a load of money!

11. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    actually...i have both ronin and heat in dd....but i believe its worth getting the dts versions.....and im at the point of saying dd is dead and dts is the only way to go....but im sure that would get a negative response....so i wont say it !!!!......if a film is worth buying.....why not buy the best

12. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Good point, but from your post you have pretty much siad DD films are not worth getting.

There are hundreds of superb DD tracks, DTS is not always better.

13. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok geez....give me 2 classic films that are better in dd than dts....p.s...i dont want this to be a dts v dd thing as i have said...but if im going to buy a film i will want to watch again and again I would regret getting a dd version when there is a dts version avaliable

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you are starting the arguments mate!! Whay are you asking people to name 2 films that are better in Dolby Digital than they are in dts when you are only going to reply "no it's not..."

Tell you what mate, we'll add you to the fan boy list and be done with it. You have been in to Home Cinema a whole 6 months and you're not prepared to listen to people who have been into it for years (10 in my case...). Whatever we say, you are going to say dts is better...you're not even prepared to carry out simple listening tests.
    Have you read the thread I linked to? I doubt it, otherwise you would realise you were wrong.
    I will listen to the 2 tracks before I make a judgement. I am not in either camp - Dolby or dts. If you carry out a search on these forums, you will find that in some peoples opinion, there are better DD tracks. Jaws springs to mind...and apparantly The Lion King is a bit dodgy as well.
    But you will already have made up your own mind...

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaws is better in DTS lol

16. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaws is better in DTS lol

ooops better not start a debate.

17. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have to say I find the differences minimal....sometimes the only thing I really notice is that DTS seems a bit louder to me and maybe there's more bass in certains scenes when compared to DD - but I don't really concentrate on the sound, I just prefer watching the blo*dy film :)

18. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    semi....a dvd if for life ...not just for xmas...sound does bring a film to life...be it dd or dts.....and army, im here to seek knowledge as we all are i should hope ?

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sorry to say this but it does not sound as though you are prepared to 'seek knowledge'. Reading your posts above it would appear you have already made your mind up and are not prepared to listen to anyone ele's point of view and therefore not prepared to 'seek knowledge'.

I have been into HC for over 7 years and been reading these forums for a little while now :) and have come to accept that, in general terms, there is rarely one format better than another etc. There are often too many variables and one has to be prepared to be flexible. I find it quite surprising reading the posts above that you are not prepared to at least consider what others are saying. No, you have adamantly made up your mind, that because someone somehere has stated that DTS is better, that that is what you have to have.

All I can say is go ahead and spend your £30 per disc, in the knowledge that many of us are getting equivalent (sometimes better) quality for a fraction of the price :D

That'll do nicely Sir :)

20. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed we are. However, some of us are here to spread knowledge should the oppurtunity arise.
    Some are hear to listen to that knowledge. Some don't.

This might supprise you - but I find the biggest difference from one disc to the other is picture quality. And I have that big screen and PJ that's on your list. That's when you'll start to notice things like edge enhancement. I'd be happier with a disc that has a cracking picture quality and a stonking Dolby Digital soundtrack that cost me a fiver from the forums rather than a poorly mastered Japanese disc in the wrong aspect ratio.

My sound system is calibrated to THX reference level using a sound pressure level metre (my amp is THX ultra certified :smoke: ) and my picture is calibrated using Avia. My DVD player outputs Pal and NTSC progressive scan - so I reckon I'm probably getting about as good as it gets within my budget...:smoke:

21. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say Pinky, that it does sound like you have already made your mind up and there will be no convincing you otherwise, I have also been in home theatre for some time, around 5 years now and I must agree with everything armybloke says. You have to judge every disc on it's own merits and keep an open mind. I originally believed the hype surrounding DTS, but eventually realised it was generally just not true. I will always listen to people on here who have a far greater knowledge than I have and in my opinion, the day you stop listening to others on here is the day to stop visiting this forum.

To sum up, DTS is not the be all and end all in home theatre sound, infact I would say it is far from that. I think all we are asking here is to keep and open mind on both sound formats and just enjoy your system that you now have.

22. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    pauld...im to long in the tooth not to have an open mind....but a point....you have a great selection of dvd's.....and i do notice a large amount of specials and ultimate discs....why didd you go to the expense of getting those ???......i do watch normal dd 5.1 disc's....that is what blockbuster is for.....but if i see one that would be a keeper, I would either make a copy or buy the best avaliable for that film....this would normally be the dts version...or am i wrong ???

23. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That list is way out of date, but anyway. I buy the films I like and not because they are DTS. I think you are losing the point of your initial statement that you only want DTS discs and what we are saying is, just dont get caught up in the DTS hype that ingnorant people believe and perpetuate.

24. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just re-read your last comment and I have to disagree that the DTS version of a film is always the best one, what a load of rubbish. Where do you get this notion???? I think that we are all wasting our time trying to convince you that DTS is not always better so go ahead and buy what you like, your thread was a wate of time in my opinion as you seem to have made up your mind so go ahead and buy what you like, but don't expect us to agree with your thinking.

25. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have absolutely no preference or pre-conceived ideas about which is better, DD or DTS.

I read the article that armybloke linked to and to me the jist of it is, in the home environment it would be very difficult to tell the difference between DD and DTS. You may get some better DTS tracks but that is not to do with the fact that it is using DTS technology but how the audio track was put together.

If you just want to buy DTS disks because you think it is better then carry on.

What was the point of your thread?

26. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just to throw a bit more petrol onto the flames - on my current whizz bang THX Certified setup (carefully calibrated), I can't tell the difference between the DD & DTS versions of TTT EE, both are fantastic mixes. So my question is "what was the point of including two versions?" I know that people want "choice", but Lucas didn't give us the choice on SW eps 1 & 2 (and there's two more great DD sountracks). By all means seek out the best version of a film on dvd if you so choose, don't fall for the DTS must be better line though.

One more item to ponder though - if you save money on disks - I reckon by trading like Brian and not buying Jap discs, I probably save hundreds of pounds each year compared to "collectors", that makes me feel considerably less guilty every time I improve my sound system, so that I can really hear how good those DD soundtracks are.

27. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Dolby dead???

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

DTS only a few years back were considered as almost incompetent in both CODEC design and implementation.
    If your ears tell you something than that's fine but to say Dolby is dead is just about the most ridiculous thing i have ever read in the 4 years or so i have looked at this site and that includes alot of Nathan Silly's stuff.
    DTS is the cornershop to Dolby's Walmart.

Steven

28. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After reading through this thread I have to confess my ignorance to the differences between both DD and DTS. I haven't long been on this forum and I'm finding it a good learning curve. In the past I've bought DVD's without really checking what sound formats they come in, but if there has been a setting for DTS on whichever DVD I've watched, then I've choosen it.

I think the misconception comes about because I think DTS is newer than DD, and naturally must be better quality. Maybe it's the same for other people.

I realise by reading this thread that this is incorrect and I certainly won't 'aim' at DTS without consideration first.

Thanks to all for the info. :)

Zapp

29. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I was going to join in here.. but really cannot be ar*ed.. too many films to be watching ;)

Though I will say if I have a choice I will buy the best version of a disc I can find.. which alot (not all) of the time is currently from Jpn as I get to see my films uncut with DD and DTS track and normally some cool disc/packaging features.. though I make sure I am not paying £30 a time!

But if I want to watch a film thats not available with a DTS soundtrack.. its certainly not going to stop me... tonight I think it will be SWAT !

Matt

30. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone truthfully say a DTS track is inferior on any film they own ?

Sometimes theyre practically identical but ive never actually heard a track which is worse............................. Yet.