DVD signal distribution

yrob

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me a steer here please.

I have a dvd recorder that is connected to my main tv via scart2. I wanted to output the signal from this recorder to my tv in bedroom via RF.
After reading the forums I purchased a RF modulator to allow the signal to be converted and all works ok. However, I now have issue watching the anything from the DVD recorder on my main screen as the scart output from the DVD recorder now goes to the RF box but I have no way of getting this scart to my TV. I had assumed that I could simply buy a scart splitter to allow signal to main tv scart and other to the RF box but this has been advised against as I may lose quality. I have a 14" portable in bedroom so quality is not an issue there but have a toshiba 42" 1080p as main tv. The dvd recorder I am using does not trasfer the signal to that level and the quality I recieve from the dvd to tv when plugged direct via scart is acceptable but I would not want it to decrease. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us the model no. of your DVDR?

It may be possible to determine if it has any other outputs that could be conveniently used.

Thanks for the welcome!

The model number is LG RH7500. I have noticed that there are some component connections on the back. Does this help?

Having now checked... If you have nothing connected to the AV2 scart, you can use that as an output to feed your modulator.

In your first post you referred to AV2 being connected to the TV - But it was not clear whether you were referring AV2 of the TV or AV2 of the DVDR.
Conventionally AV1 of the DVDR would be used to connect to the TV.

If both scarts of the DVDR are occupied then you could use the video output phono [ third from left - top - as seen from rear ] and the adjacent audio out sockets to feed into your modulator.

Great stuff, that works a treat. Maplin were trying to sell me remote switching devices etc, and I was convinced that I didn't need anything else.

Many thanks for your assistance!!

Thanks for the welcome!

The model number is LG RH7500. I have noticed that there are some component connections on the back. Does this help?

If your DVD recorder has component output connections and your TV has component input connections it would be worth using a component lead rather than scart to feed the main TV.

If you do this you can enable progressive scan playback in the DVD recorder which will improve picture quality.

Understood and thanks for that!

I now have the rf lead from the Modulator feeding the second tv and I introduced a 'Y' rf splitter and the second tv side to allow the normal tv aerial to be connected to tv to watch normal channels. However, the picture quality from the normal aerial (not the rf fly lead) is poor, i.e channels 1,2,3,4 and 5. When the normal aerial is plugged in on it's own the quality is good and I suspect I must be getting some form of feedack issue. Can this be resolved??

Can you advise which modulator you are using [ Maplin part number or link?]

Introducing the splitter introduces a loss in itself and also divides the signal so there is scarcely enough to drive a decent quality signal into your main TV - [ I'm reading between the lines that you are referring to Analogue terrestrial channels ]

The only workaround for this is to boost the signal somehow.
The easiest solution is a small relatively cheap 2, 3 or 4 way plug in distribution aerial amplifier.
This would provide independent boosted outputs - One for your main TV and one for your distribution system.

Don't think I hav eexplained this correctly.

The splitter is at the 2nd tv end - The modulator is feeding a signal from my downstairs dvd recorder to an upstairs tv through a coax cable. However, this only allows me to watch my dvd recordings upstairs. In order to watch normal tv (1,2,3,4,5) upstairs I have to unplug this coax cable and plug in the normal tv aerial cable into the upstairs tv. To avoid the unplgging I introduced a 'y' split so I can leave the downstairs feed from the dvd recorder and the upstais feed from the aerial plugged in at the same time. It is when they are both plugged in to the upstairs tv together that I get the loss of quality.

Where does the upstairs incoming aerial lead come from? Do you have a separate aerial or is it connected to the same aerial as downstairs, and if so, where and how?

All that aside ... there is an easier way to connect.

The coax cable you have feeding from your modulator to the upstairs TV can also be used to carry the TV channels.
The Modulator box you have is equipped for RF pass through for this purpose.

Connect it into the aerial chain downstairs. Split the output from it there. Feed one side of the splitter to upstairs, which will carry the TV channels and the DVDR output at RF also.
Connect the other side of your splitter to your main TV.

The upstairs aerial is separate - totally isolated to that downstairs.

I will try the method you suggest but I was trying to avoind weakening the signal of the aerial going into the downstairs tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom