1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Set Top Player shows split screen

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by oxford, Sep 29, 2004.

1. oxford

oxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help Please :)

I have transferred Camcorder footage via Firewire to my PC, Edited it and burnt it onto a DVD-R, it plays OK, in the PC. On the set top Player it shows 2 pictures with a split screen in the top half of the TV screen, and just a plain geen screen across the bottom half of TV screen. The sound seems to be OK.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks Peter

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whilst I'm no expert, from what I understand this sounds to me like it could be something to do with the format you've used to render the final output. For viewing on TV's, the video needs to be interlaced, unless your TV supports progressive scan. To quote from a manual:-

"Video that is displayed on a television monitor is interlaced. This means that every frame of video is actually composed of two fields, each of which is made up of half of the lines that make the final frame. These two fields are woven together in alternate lines."

I would therefore suspect that you've saved your DVD without interlacing. When the TV is trying to display the picture, it has only got half of the information, which is why you can only see half the screen. PC monitors don't need interlacing, which is why it displays OK when you view it on your computer.

The other thing you can try if this is not the case, is to save the DVD output onto your computer and then burn it onto DVD using Nero or another burning program. I know that when I used Pinnacle Studio, the burning wasn't that good and, whilst it worked OK on my PC, the DVD wouldn't work properly on my TV. Re-burning the video using Nero worked fine.

Hope this is of help, and if anyone who knows more than me thinks that what I've just said is total rubbish, please say, so I can learn too!

3. oxford

oxford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Melliott 1963 :)

I have checked, the encoding was "Interlace Encoded" so I hope that was OK?, I will see if I can get any other help, or perhaps try your suggestion of Re-burning with Nero.

Thanks again
    Peter