1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Scatched disks

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by abspag, Jun 29, 2005.

1. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi my DVD Flr 32 is rejecting a lot of disks my Harmom 30 used to play no problem. :suicide: It appears that a slight mark on the disk results in a system error faulty disk. Has anyone else had this problem ? Are all Tags this fussy or has mine developed a fault ? Any comments would be most helpful :lease:

2. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Abspag,

I have a DVD32FLR and I never got such kind of problem. I tested it with my childrens' DVDs (they have suffered from the traitement the kids gave them) and everything works fine.

Any other with such problems?

Lenny

3. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lenny I am sure that mine has developed a fault :(

4. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have had my FLR for three years now and never experienced anything that it would not play - even "copies"

5. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks people the unit is back on its way to IAG for a new laser assembly. Anyone got any ideas that will take ?

6. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you tried putting a lens cleaning disk in it?

It worked a treat for my Tosh. It has to be worth trying in preference to sending it back to IAG.

7. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Zero here. Flawless playing so far, except one that had dryed up milk or some other sort of goo like that all over... Still it played, only slowly and with "digital artifacts"...

Luis

8. eddie pugh

eddie pugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know whether a new lazer assembly in the earlier transport on the DVD32R can be tweaked to read DVD R and DVD RW. Any idea of new lazer cost

eddie

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You'd probably do better appending this to your other post about upgrading DAC's etc on an AV32R.

You really do need to speak to someone like stevesky,for further information,but as you will likely already know,firstly any such upgrades if available will not be cheap,and if done by yourself,will invalidate any remaining warranty you have.

10. eddie pugh

eddie pugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Alex

My DVD32 is well out of warranty and still performing without a hitch. Long may it do so. The only slight niggle is that it will not read any home produced DVDs. This is not really an issue, but if it could be corrected with a laser re-fit which was within my ability to carry out I would probably buy the part and fit it tomorrow. At £750 for a transport upgrade it is not really economically viable.

My old AV32 is even older and also performing without a hitch. In fact I've just replaced it with a DP and was just wandering what to do with it. Hence the interest in the DAC upgrade for use in a second location.

What I would like to encourage is a sharing of expertise as to how to twaek and maintain older Tag kit so that we are not totally dependant on IAG. I realize that this is high tech stuff but I'm sure that many of us do not bat an eyelid at pulling our PC's appart and rebuilding every so often. I would just like a bit more info as to how difficult some of these upgrades really are and how restricted we are re parts. I've found IAG very helpful in the past with supply of parts for my old Quad kit.

If some capable alternative to IAG were to exist they would have to buck up their customer service. Maybe there is a business opportunity here for a competent electronics engineer.

eddie

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Some very good points there,especially about alternative servicing sources,but I think that the thing that will stump that is the proprietary nature of a lot of TAG's work,as evidenced by what Stevesky has said on other threads,plus the high density,multilayer circuit boards used.

The other problem is that given that proprietary approach,much of the stuff would only be available via TAG then,and IAG now.

I have no problems taking a PC to bits,or building a valve amp,but would definitely leave the internals of an AV32R etc well alone!....from what has been said here before on repairs,it did sound as if you would have to be VERY good with a soldering iron,as well as very careful.

The purpose of this forum was to give all of the TAG community(users and staff) an equivalent of the old TAG forum,and an area to share information and resources.

You'll find that from the software support/help level,the forum can be very useful,and in particular John Mulcahy has done some excellent(and unpaid) development work on the TMREQ wizard,which you may find helpful,if you don't already have it.

12. eddie pugh

eddie pugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Alex

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I'm just an engineer who likes to know how things work. I've had a bit of a look under the lid of the AV32 and it looks quite busy in there.

I am a great fan of the Tag kit and as far as I'm concerned IAG have not put a foot wrong to date and I have high hopes of them and the future Audiolab kit. As for this forum, I have found it most useful and have learn't a lot - long may it flourish.

I am getting up to speed on John's TMREQ wizard and gathering the bits necessary to put it to use to tweak my DP

The Dual Processor is a stunning upgrade over the SP and that's even without turning the TMREQ on!!

eddie

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If I gave the impression of that I'm sorry!....certainly wasnt intentional.

If you haven't tried TMREQ yet....wait until you get it fully set up and running...one of the major reasons for my upgrading to a DP was for that,and it makes listening so much better in our 250yr old timber framed house with all the room modes etc levelled out.